I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Apple Core Quilt - Work in Progress

I finally finished cutting out all of my apple core pieces. All 300 of them! So glad that part is over. Now I am ready to start piecing. Things on the machine didn't work out so well....so I decided to hand piece them.


Actually it is pretty easy. (Once I figured out to clip the curve.) I pin the 2 pieces together easing it into the curve. Then I sew it together along the 1/4" seam allowance. That's it! Supper easy and in no time at all I have a row all done.

Have you ever hand pieced a quilt before? Any tips for a first timer? Leave a comment and let me know what you think. I would love to hear from you.

Happy Quilting!

4 comments:

  1. You're making curves look easy....might have to give this a try.
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you like how this is coming together? I have the pattern for this and was thinking of attempting to hand piece it in the evenings when my little ones go to bed. They are light sleepers so I can't use my machine at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe now, but my very first attempt at quilting was a king-sized quilt in this apple core design ! I also hand quilted it while waiting to have heart valve surgery because I couldn't get it to lay right on my sewing machine. I gave it to my daughter and she loves it. (Of course she can't see all the mistakes that I can visualize!)
    If I had it to do over, I would have started with something a little more simple and more in line with my novice quilting skills, but have a good time with it. Each project I complete, I learn something new!

    ReplyDelete