I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Composition Note Book Cover

My middle child is in the second grade this year and it all about writing, writing and more writing.  Her teacher suggested that they/we write in a journal every night.  Along with a 1/2 hour of reading and her nightly homework.  Hmmm?  I wonder sometimes if her teacher think that all his students are only children?  She of course is less than trilled.  I think we are going to need a special note book and plenty of pencils.


To make mine I used a composition notebook that measured 9 3/4" by 7 1/2", and 2 coordinating fabrics.

I cut 2 - 11 1/4" by 30" rectangles from the coordinating fabrics and an 11" by 7" rectangle out of the pink fabric for the pencil holder.  Note: I used a 1/4" seam allowance for this project.

First, make the pencil holder.  Take your 11" by 7" rectangle and fold it in half, right sides together, and sew down both sides, leaving the bottom open.  Then clip corners, turn right side out, and press.


Finding the center of the octopus fabric, I measured an inch over and pinned the pink pencil pocket along the bottom.

Then with right sides together sew your 2 large rectangles together leaving an opening to turn right side out.  Clip your corners, turn right side out, and press. 

Now top stitch down both sides of your pencil holder making sure to lock your stitches. 



With a marking pen measure your individual pencil pockets.  Starting 1 1/4" from the edge and then mark every inch.  Top stitch (through all the layers) making sure to lock your stitches.


Fold the cover around the front and back covers of your notebook.  Pin into position being careful to center your pencil pocket in the front.  Then top stitch a scant 1/4" around the edge.


Now all I have to do is get her to write in it every night. 


4 comments:

  1. Your daughter will be the envy of all her classmates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The journal cover looks great! If she HAS to write in it every night at least she can do it with style :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was my thought as well. My girl gotta have style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! I can see making it with a blank composition book and filling the front slots with colored pencils too. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete