I have been on a little bit of a quest this past week to finish the memory quilt that I am doing for my son. I am not working with a particular pattern for this quilt. I am kinda making it up as I go along. My goal is to use as much of the fabric as I can, because honestly I can't bear to just throw out any of his clothes, even the scraps. If you would like to follow along on, check out my previous post here.
As you can see, I completed the rows of 6" blocks in between the rows of the off-center blocks that I made from his matching outfits. Then, I added the navy blue sashing to give it a little more pop. My next step is the border. I plan to cut as many 6" blocks as I can, and then 6" rectangles to use up more of the fabric.
Then I took a pre-cut 6" square of woven stabilizer, centered it the best that I could, ironed it on the wrong side of my outfit, and cut it out.
Note: I use Pellon Shape Flex Fusible Interfacing White SF101, which is sold at most big box fabric stores.
Here are some examples:
Captain Adorable was done the traditional way by cutting out the 2 squares separately. See how the lines warped a little when I ironed it. Not to mention I will have to square it up again.
The puppy dog one is good to go and I have saved myself a ton of time.
One last note don't be afraid to include the stains. It is a memory quilt after all. As much as the memory of the outfits they wore is important, so is the memory of the time they covered themselves in strained peas. :)