I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Memory Quilt in Progress - Part 2

I have been on a little bit of a quest this past week to finish the memory quilt that I am doing for my son.  I am not working with a particular pattern for this quilt.  I am kinda making it up as I go along.  My goal is to use as much of the fabric as I can, because honestly I can't bear to just throw out any of his clothes, even the scraps.  If you would like to follow along on, check out my previous post here.



As you can see, I completed the rows of 6" blocks in between the rows of the off-center blocks that I made from his matching outfits.  Then, I added the navy blue sashing to give it a little more pop.  My next step is the border.  I plan to cut as many 6" blocks as I can, and then 6" rectangles to use up more of the fabric.


Since you're here, I thought I would share a little trick that I came up with to make working with baby clothes a little easier.  Normally when doing a t-shirt quilt, you cut your t-shirt to the desired size square, then your stabilizer to the same desired size, and iron the 2 pieces together.  Pretty easy, huh?  Till you start working with itty bitty baby outfits that have snaps and zippers that keep getting in the way. 


First I try to cut up along the side seams like you would a t-shirt and lay it out as flat as I can on the ironing board, wrong side facing up.  This doesn't work with all of the items.  Sometime you will have to cut up the center of the back of an item to get a large eneough piece of fabric to work with.  Don't worry if you have some seams in your square.  Just try to iron them as flat as you can to reduce the bumps.


Then I took a pre-cut 6" square of woven stabilizer, centered it the best that I could, ironed it on the wrong side of my outfit, and cut it out. 

Note:  I use Pellon Shape Flex Fusible Interfacing White SF101, which is sold at most big box fabric stores.


Here are some examples:

Captain Adorable was done the traditional way by cutting out the 2 squares separately.  See how the lines warped a little when I ironed it.  Not to mention I will have to square it up again.

The puppy dog one is good to go and I have saved myself a ton of time.

One last note don't be afraid to include the stains.  It is a memory quilt after all.  As much as the memory of the outfits they wore is important, so is the memory of the time they covered themselves in strained peas.  :) 


3 comments: