I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Memory Quilt in Progress

I am making a memory quilt out of all the baby clothes that my youngest wore during his first year.  My goal is to get as much of the fabric from his clothes on this quilt.


I started with his outfit sets to arrange into blocks.  I choose an off centered block because the outfits ranged in size from 0-3M to 2T, and each top has it's own unique design.  This originally was a design challenge for me.  I gotta tell you I stared at that bin for days waiting for some inspiration and a solution.  Then it came to me, and I LOVE the way it came out.

To make this block I first cut a square of Pellon Woven Stabilizer slightly bigger than I needed and ironed it on the wrong side of the top doing my best to center the design.  Then I cut out the square with scissors.  If it needed it, I squared it on the cutting mat using a ruler and rotary cutter.

Then I added a strip from the pants, first along the side, and then along the bottom.  I ironed the seams flat, and squared the block to 9 1/2 inches.


Now I am cutting 6 inch squares from his remaining onesies and sleepers to add in between the rows.  We will see what is left, and maybe I will add a border if there is enough fabric.  Or not.  This quilt is a journey, and I can't wait to see where it takes me.



4 comments:

  1. How cute! And such a great use of the little clothes than just storing them in a box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the blocks being off center like that, with the matching bottoms sort of shadowing the tops - too cute!!!

    and p.s. i'm loving your photography skills!

    ReplyDelete