I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Bloggers Quilt Festival 2010

Amy's Creative Side invited bloggers to share one quilt, and it's story.  This is my quilt, my first quilt.


Do you remember your first quilt and why you made it?  So many of my early quilts were given away as gifts.  Not even a picture to record its existence.  This is the only one that remains.

About 15 years ago, a newlywed stepped into the new quilt shop in town, looking to buy a sewing machine.  See sewing has always been a part of my life.  My mother thought me to sew at a very young age, and by the time I was in high school I was making most of my own clothes.  So when I got married, and moved out, I no longer had regular use of my mother's machine.  It was time.  I needed my own.  I had a cute little apartment that need things like curtains and such.  I don't think I ever made those curtains, because when I entered that quilt shop and saw all those beautiful quilts hanging on the walls....I was hooked!  I signed up for my first class, that day, and made this quilt.   


It is riddled with mistakes and as you can see there is really very little "quilting" to it.  All the same, I love it anyways.  It was meant to be for my first child, still years away, and when that time came I couldn't part with it.  Silly I know, but there was something about my first quilt.  I did end up hanging it up on the wall in his nursery.  It was the inspiration, a room filled with blue and yellow, and of course teddy bears. 

Amy's Creative Side - Blogger's Quilt Festival

Be sure to check out the other quilts at Amy's Creative Side.  Talk about inspiration.  Some of these quilts are amazing!

11 comments:

  1. That is an adorable quilt! Very impressive for a first quilt, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story! That infectious condition called quilting provides so much joy in life. Thanks for sharing your quilt's story :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How Sweet! This bear on the moon looks so like a pattern I made years ago that had the bear on the moon and it was called The Attic Window, I think. I did not even think about taking photos way back when of quilts I had made. Love then all anyway. Thank you for sharing. Love Lois

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute. I gave my daughter one of my machines when she got married so she would not have to miss mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a treasure for a first quilt. Glad you walked into the quilt shop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful "first" quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute - that is an impressive first quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful story! Such a sweet quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not only do I remember my first quilt - 17 years ago - but I remember this pattern!!! Nice story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sweet story and a cute quilt. thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.