I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Hooded Toddler Towel - A Tutorial

With the holiday just around the corner, I thought I would start posting some of the gifts I have made.  Today it is a Hooded Toddler Towel.  You know for when your little bundle of joy out grows those cute little baby hooded towels, but still needs to use one.  Here is a tutorial that uses a full size bath towel that is big enough to wrap up your baby and absorbent enough to dry him off.  I should know my little monster tipped the scales at 35lbs on his 2nd birthday. 

To make one of your own you will need:
  • 1 quality bath towel
  • 1 quality hand towel
  • 1 spool of ribbon

Take your hand towel and cut it in half, and if you want to add ribbon or any other embellishments this is the time to do it.  I choose to add my ribbon along the edge and embroidered her name. 

Note: Don't throw away the other half you can make a nifty little hand mitt or finish all 4 sides for a wash towel.  Just a suggestion, no need to throw away a perfectly good half.  :)


Fold in half minus 1 inch, next measure  2 1/2" from the top and 2 1/2" from the side, then with a ruler connect the 2 measurements at an angle.  Then cut off the corner.



Sew around the edge with a zig-zag stitch, and turn right side out.



Find the center of your bath towel, and then mark the next 6 inches on either of your center.  Then pin 3 pleats going in opposite directions from center.  Next sew your hood onto your bath towel with the same zig-zag stitch you used earlier. 



Finally, sew your ribbon along both sides of your bath towel.  Then your done, super cute huh?  Pair it with your nifty little hand mitt and some Mr.Bubble and you got yourself a great little gift.

Happy Sewing!


3 comments:

  1. Love it! When I've tried sewing with towels, my machine didn't like when using multiple thicknesses, like with the pleats. Do you have any advice?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I have to share this with my friends at mysewingcircle.com
    They'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial, ill try to replicate this one, im planning to buy Baby Hooded Towels, and since its expensive.. so i'll make one.. this is a good idea.. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete