I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Friday, October 15, 2010

A Memory Quilt in Progress - Part 3

If you have been following along, you know that I have been working on a memory quilt for my youngest son.  If you are new here in Paradise, click here and here to follow along.

 All the clothes used in this quilt were the clothes that he wore during his first year, and on the back I have pieced together some of the larger scraps with his receiving blankets.  Now I am at the point where I can start machine quilting, but I must first baste my quilt.  I am lucky enough to have tile floors in my front room.  The grid makes it easy for me to line all my layers and the tape doesn't leave any marks on my floor. 


First, I use a low tack tape, to tape my backing to the floor. 

Painters tape is my friend.  :)


Then I will lay my batting on top of my backing. 

This is one of the few times I will use a polyester batting.  I know ewww, but when I make Memory Quilts or T-shirts Quilts I have found it works best.  Here are the reasons why:  One, these quilts are heavier than your average quilt.  Two, I don't machine quilt it as tight as I would a regular quilt.  If you are completely opposed to polyester, try using flannel.   


Next, I will lay down my top....


.....and put as many safety pins in it as I can.


Now I am ready to start quilting. 
Can anyone guess what I will be up to all weekend?

Happy Quilting!

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely fabulous...I will be checking back to see your progress..hard to beat WOW at the moment..
    blessings madame samm

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great ... I would love to do something like this with my daughters' baby clothes but using knits in a quilt scares me. Someday maybe I'll get brave enough. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great gift! I have never made a t-shirt quilt before so I am glad that you posted your tips.

    BTW-Did you use interfacing on the back of each block for extra stability?

    Have fun quilting,
    Stefanie

    ReplyDelete