Saturday, November 20, 2010

Building Blocks - Floating Stars

Building Blocks is something I have started to help quilters design their own quilt projects.  Sometimes it starts with a block that speaks to you, but then what do you do with it?  Most of my quilts have started this way.  I make a block then build from there, (sometimes lots of trial and error), till I have a finished block forming a quilt.

I hope to leave you with a bit of inspiration each week, to follow your own quilting journey, but please remember this tutorial is for personal use only.  Please do not make copies of this tutorial.  Please do not sell items made from this tutorial without permission from A Girl In Paradise. Questions? Just ask.

********************

To make this block you will need to cut 6 squares, 4 of one color and 2 of another. I cut 4" squares for this tutorial but, as long as the squares are all the same size you can cut them any size you like.

Next cut your 2 matching squares in half to make 4 rectangles.


With a washable pen, mark each rectangle diagonally from one corner to the other.


Then fold in half along the line you just marked, finger press the fold or lightly iron.  I recommend ironing because you really want your lines to be clean.  Place along top of square (pictured below) and pin in place.  Open up your rectangle and sew along your line.


Trim off the excess and press it open.


Now you can assemble your block.  Sewing in rows, top 2 squares, then bottom 2 squares, and press.


Then top to bottom, and press.


Now that you have completed some blocks, the fun part begins....the layout! 
Below are some suggestions.

Basic Rows

Basic rows with sashing.

On Point

On point with a coordinating fabric square.

The possibilities are endless......

Have fun, play with it, and as always if you make something using this block, send me your pictures, or if you blog about it, send me the link, and maybe I'll feature it here.  I just love seeing what you come up with. 


3 comments:

  1. This is great! I've never seen a block tutorial that includes different layout possibilities like this. But the layout can change the look of a block SO much. Thank you, wonderful idea! I'm looking forward to more!

    (And I love this block by the way. The stripes make such a cool background.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! I can't wait to see more in the series.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOMENESS! A great pattern for a quilt!

    ReplyDelete