Monday, November 15, 2010

Easy Wine Bag Tutorial

With the holidays just around the corner, I thought I would share this simple wine bag tutorial.  It makes a great hostess gift with the added "Wow!  You made this!"   Most people love a handmade gift.  It makes them feel special and loved, and after all isn't that the point.  This one here is going to a very special friend that is hosting Thanksgiving this year. 


Remember this from a previous post.....my embroidered cloth napkin.
Sorry, I know, I left you hanging.  Sometimes I get distracted.  I think it is called crafters ADD.  So much inspiration, so little time. 


 I started with a plain off white cloth dinner napkin.  (You know the ones you get in a 10 pack at the big box bedding stores.)  I embroidered this cute patchwork Pumpkin along the bottom edge in the center.  Of course if you don't have an embroidery machine, any embellishment will do.  How about screen printing or an applique?  The possibilities are endless. 


Cut 2 rectangles each 11" by 16".  One for your lining and the other being your napkin.  Make sure your design is centered.


With right sides together, sew the lining to the napkin, at the top.


Then fold in half the long way, and sew together, leaving a wide enough opening to turn right side out.   


Turn right side out and sew your opening closed.


Stuff your napkin down into your lining, so your bag is inside out.  Carefully pin and sew your corners to allow your bag stand up flat.  I measured it about an inch from the tip.  Then I trimmed off the excess.  Turn right side out


Then measuring about 5" from the top I attached a piece of ribbon, that was about 24" long on the back of my bag.  You can adjust this measurement depending on your bottle.


Now your done!  Place your bottle inside your bag, tie your bow, and decide if you want the cuff up or down, it's your choice.  I can't seem to decide which way I like better, so I pictured it both ways.  Have fun, play with it, and as always if you make one, send me the link.  I love seeing what you come up with.

If your are looking for other great handmade holiday ideas, check out Skip To My Lou, she has a great Made by You Monday Link Party. 

 


6 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great gift! And you're right, so many possibilities for embellishing it and making it your own. I'm bookmarking this one! Thanks for a great tute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fantastic!!! I think I'll whip up a couple of these too! And I love your description of crafter's ADD -- LOL! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it! (and i prefer it folded over, that way you can see the pretty fabric from the inside, too)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! what a great idea! thanks a lot for linking up at Crafty Saturday Party at TSWL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. neat idea! I just purchased a bunch of holiday napkins on clearance at Target, so this post couldn't have come at a better time! thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete