Monday, November 29, 2010

Fabric Flowers


So, I have been going a little crazy with the fabric flowers lately .... and I have become obsessed with buttons, who has the best selection, when they go on sale, and how best to use my coupons.  I even dragged all three kids to a door buster sale at 8 in the morning, to get an extra 10% off.  Don't worry they got rewarded for their good behavior with a trip to the playground and a box of munchkins.  :)  To be fair, I am making them into headbands, hair clips, and brooches for a craft show.  Also, there are a few girls on my Christmas list who will be receiving these as gifts.  Every little girl needs a flowered headband, don't ya think? 

They are super cute and very easy to make, and since you don't need much fabric, no need to hit the fabric store.  What you have in your stash will probably do.


You will need six 2-1/2" squares, strong thread, and a needle.  I use cording as thread because I will be selling them and like the extra strength.  Makes me sleep better at night to put out a quality product.


Fold your square in half diagonally and use a running stitch along the edge, to pull the pedal together.


Pull tight and knot after each pedal.


Repeat....


Once you have all six pedals done, connect to the first as shown above, to close in your flower.


Pull a button through the center and tie off. 

This is where my button obsession comes in and dreams of vintage button stashes lull me off to sleep.  I have found that buttons at least 7/8" work best to cover the raw edges.  Have fun, and be creative, how about vintage earrings or rhinestones?  The flower is just the starting point.  Where you take it is up to you.


Here you go!  One super cute fabric flower, that was super easy to make.

25 comments:

  1. Those are awesome looking! Love the big buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I love them! I have 2 boys though.... Hmmmm but I do have nieces....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderfull blog :) And all the things you are creating!
    Best regards
    ShapeMoth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I can see the addiction possibilities. I have been looking for a cute flower and this is probably it!! These would make very cute tree ornaments too! Thank you for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these type of flowers! Definitely worth the little extra time of hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are gorgeous! thanks for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wicked cool. I love them & you make it look so easy! Thanks for the tut!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! You can even hot glue simple magnets to the back of the flowers and you have fancy fridge magnets!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so super cute! Thanks for linking up to Quiltstory!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are really cute and look simple to do. I think I might could make those once I finish my endless "someday" projects. I've seen so many of those flowers that look so complicated to make, so thanks for sharing what looks to be an easier version.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks fun. I'd like to place them on a pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute!! How do you attach them to a headband? I would love to make one, but I'm not sure what the best way to attach it would be. Your blog is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so cute! would definitely make one or two (or more) for my Princess. thanks a lot for linking up at our crafty saturday party! looking forward to more of your link-ups in the future!

    hugs,
    Lelanie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen these everywhere, but you made it the best! ;) Thanks for sharing the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've made a few of them. I'm thinking yo-yo's for the center. I'm going to use them on a baby's bumper pads. For ties. Looks really cute. Thanks for sharing your ideals. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. QUW MARAVILHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AMEU SEU TUTORIAL

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are very nice and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very Nice tutorial!!!
    Gonna try for sure

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks look so easy and cute, how about on flip flops

    ReplyDelete