Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Building Blocks - Opposites Attract

Building Blocks is something I have started to help quilters design their own quilt projects. Sometimes it starts with a block that speaks to you, but then what do you do with it? Most of my quilts have started this way. I make a block then build from there, (sometimes lots of trial and error), till I have a finished block forming a quilt.
I hope to leave you with a bit of inspiration each week, to follow your own quilting journey, but please remember this tutorial is for personal use only. Please do not make copies of this tutorial. Please do not sell items made from this tutorial without permission from A Girl In Paradise. Questions? Just ask.
 
******************** 
 
This week it is 2 for the price of one with Opposites Attract.  I love this block because it is a great way to use those large print or novelty fabrics.  Also, I can see this block as a traditional red & white or black & white quilt. 
 
To make these blocks you will need to cut:
  • 4 - 1 1/2" strips of Red
  • 1 - 4 1/2" strip of Red
  • 1 - 3 1/2" strip of Red
  • 4 - 1 1/2" strips of Green
  • 1 - 4 1/2" strip of Green   
  • 1 - 3 1/2" strip of Green
Note: All strips are 44" long, the standard length of fabric. 

 Then cut your strip that is 3 1/2" into 5 rectangles that measure 8" by 3 1/2". 

Alternating your colors, sew your strips together, having your 4 1/2" strip in the center, as pictured below.

 Iron your seams in the opposite directions, as pictured below.  This will make your life so much easier when piecing together your block, you'll see.  :)

 Next cut into 5 - 1 1/2" sections and 10 - 2 1/2" sections.

 This will be how you construct each block, sewing all 4 sections together.

 Your completed block should look like this.  The back should be ironed as pictured below, with the seams going in the opposite directions.  There should be 5 blocks of each color, 10 total.

Now the fun part, laying out your blocks.  Below are some suggestions.

Opposites Together

Opposites Down the Center

In Rows

In Rows, only using one color....

...and the other color.

Have fun, play with it, and as always if you make something using this block, send me your pictures, or if you blog about it, send me the link, and maybe I'll feature it here.  I just love seeing what you come up with.

5 comments:

  1. I love this series! Lots of great possibilities here! Thanks so much, I'm bookmarking this - it's a great block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for doing this! I love this block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog! I am a new follower, love your blog, you have some great ideas!
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...lovely block.thank you for visiting my blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute fabric . . . I can't wait to see the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete