I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Machine Embroidery – Christmas Ornaments


I am always looking for some fun ways to incorporate machine embroidery into the crafts that I do, and a couple of nights I had a dream about this one.  The creative process is always better when it is quiet. 

I have used this product before from Pellon, called Peltex 72F Double-sided Fusible Ultra Firm Stabilizer, for another project a while back and loved the results when using it for machine embroidery.  It lays flat and almost never puckers or ripples.

If you don't have an embroidery machine, don't worry I'm sure other embellishments will do.  How about hand embroidery, applique, or screen printing?  You might have to change the order of my steps a bit, but I think it can still work.  I'm thinking about making a few in some of my favorite fabrics, (with no embellishments) to fill my tree.  I quilter just gotta have her fabrics represented.


I started by cutting to ovals from Pellons, Peltex 72F, and one oval of the same size out of a piece of paper.  Then I ironed a piece of white fabric, slightly larger than my oval to the side of peltex without the plastic backing.  Then I removed the plastic backing from the other side and folded my fabric over the edge and ironed down.


I placed some Sticky in my hoop and using that piece of paper I cut out earlier, I folded in half and half again.  Placed it on top of my fabric oval and placed it all inside my hoop on the Sticky.  Using the folds as my guides and a disappearing ink marking pen to marked my center.  Loaded it into my embroidery machine, making sure that my needle lined up to my center mark.


Then I punched out a design, one for the front and one for the back.


I placed the front on top of the back and sandwiched white piping in between, doing my best to pin in it place.   I placed satin ribbon at the top and top stitched around the edge.


Then, I was all done!  Do you like?

Have fun, play with it, and as always if you make one, send me the link. I love seeing what you come up with.
 

If your are looking for other great handmade holiday ideas, check out some of these great link parties.

7 comments:

  1. Cute ornament idea! Soooo jealous of your embroidery machine! Thanks for stopping by House Revivals -- I'm glad you liked the woven stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I just love Pooh, he is so cute, and you did an excellent job on stitching him up. When I first got my embroidery machine, I made a couple dozen christmas ornaments, I love them all.

    You should enter this in my sewing challenge blog here at Paula's Sewing Challenges, and you could win a little something, something.

    Hope to see you there soon.
    Cheers,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute ornament!

    Visiting from the blog hop. Following you now through GFC.

    Kelly
    http://mysimplewalk.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is soo adorable! I love Winnie the Pooh! Thanks soo much for following and for sharing with the Pink Hippo party.. can't wait to see what you share next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I would LOVE and embroidery machine! The ornament looks fantastic!

    Thanks for linking to A Round Tuit.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet! Great job!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. well done! love your blog, the style, name, everything!
    Jen
    http://www.wildheartstudio.net

    ReplyDelete