Monday, January 3, 2011

Building Blocks - Miniature Half Square Triangles

Building Blocks is something I have started to help quilters design their own quilt projects. Sometimes it starts with a block that speaks to you, but then what do you do with it? Most of my quilts have started this way. I make a block then build from there, (sometimes lots of trial and error), till I have a finished block forming a quilt.

I hope to leave you with a bit of inspiration each week, to follow your own quilting journey, but please remember this tutorial is for personal use only. Please do not make copies of this tutorial. Please do not sell items made from this tutorial without permission from A Girl In Paradise. Questions? Just ask.

********************
To make your own Miniature HST's you will need to dig into your stash and cut a variety of 1 1/2" strips of your favorite fabrics. Then pair it with a solid color.


Once you have sewn your two strips together, and ironed the seams to the darker side, you are going to cut as many 1 3/4" pieces on a 45 degree angle as you can.


Then, with a cutting square, line up your HST on the 45 degree angle and make a 1 3/4" square. 
 

That's it your done.  Easy Peasy! 

The best thing about HST's is that the possibilities are endless....





...but this is the block that I'm going with! 

I think I might be in LOVE!


Have fun, play with it, and as always if you make something using this block, send me your pictures, or if you blog about it, send me the link, and maybe I'll feature it here.  I just love seeing what you come up with.

7 comments:

  1. I agree, that last block is awesome!! Although they all look great. I love the versatility of HSTs, thanks for sharing your great technique for mini HSTs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love HST's! I've never seen this technique thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to make a lot of these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how white in a quilt makes the other colors pop! The zig zag pattern is my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a new way of making HSTs that I've never seen before. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a wonderful blog, my Mother love quilting & I am going to follow your blog, I will show her your projects & tutorials,she will definitely enjoy..
    Thanks ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gotta ask: isn't there a lot of waste in this method as opposed to the 8 hst's at a time method? Looks like you're losing a triangle at each side of the hst square when you cut them out of those 45 degree pieces.

    ReplyDelete