Thursday, January 20, 2011

Building Blocks - Wonky Flying Geese

Building Blocks is something I have started to help quilters design their own quilt projects. Sometimes it starts with a block that speaks to you, but then what do you do with it? Most of my quilts have started this way. I make a block then build from there, (sometimes lots of trial and error), till I have a finished block forming a quilt.
I hope to leave you with a bit of inspiration each week, to follow your own quilting journey, but please remember this tutorial is for personal use only. Please do not make copies of this tutorial. Please do not sell items made from this tutorial without permission from A Girl In Paradise. Questions? Just ask.

********************
To make your own Wonky Flying Geese you will need to cut a strip of fabric 6" by 22" and 6 - 5" squares. 

Next you will need to make some prairie points. If you have never done this before just take your 5" squares to the ironing board and press them in half, then fold in each corner into the center, like pictured.

Then take your 6" by 22" strip and cut alternating angles. I used my triangles as a guide.
The nice thing about this block is with a few adjustments you can modify it to any size that you need. Just make sure to make the width of your strip at least an inch larger than your square, to accommodate seam allowances.
 Then, just sew your pairie points into the seams and press.


Now that you have your strips put together, you can use them to border a quilt, or make colums like you would with traditional Flying Geese.


I like them sewn together in alternating directions. 

Also, you can have the points facing up or facing down.  It is your preferance.  I pictured them both ways. 

You will need to secure them down in some way, or they will flap in the wind, as they say.  I enjoyed machine quilting them, but if you prefer, take a needle and tread and tack them down at the tip of the center point like a traditional prairie point.


Have fun, play with it, and as always if you make something using this block, send me your pictures, or if you blog about it, send me the link, and maybe I'll feature it here. I just love seeing what you come up with.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tutorial.....now; you knew I needed another project, didn't you...lol

    I will def try it; just not sure how soon....but it will eat at me til I do....lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog :o) Now following at # 110 :o)

    I am a novice quilter with many UFOs!!!! I will be back again :o)

    Blessings & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete