Sunday, January 9, 2011

A New Twist on Friendship Bracelets

The other day I was making Friendship Bracelets with my daughter, and she liked them, but didn't like how she couldn't take them on and off.  I explained to her you don't take them on and off you wear them all the time.  Well, that lasted about a day and one bath later she was repulsed.  "Eeew!  They are all wet!" was all heard for the rest of the evening.  Seriously, didn't we wear these things all summer, and lived to tell the tale?  I even remember my mother making me cut them off when school would start back up again.  Oh, how I cried. 


So, taking another trip down memory lane I remembered how back in my hairdressing days we use to do hair wraps for the kids in the summer, and thought why couldn't I do the same thing on a bangle bracelet?  Thankfully she loaned me a few bracelets to experiment with.  It was quite easy once I got back in the rhythm again.  It was kinda hard to take pictures of the process, but I think you can follow along. 


I used some cheapo bangles and some embroidery floss.  One thing I would suggest would be to use bangles that are smooth.  My floss keep getting snagged on the glitter/rhinestones, frustrating to say the least.

 I cut my floss about 45" long and my bangles were about a 3" circle.


Also, I didn't knot it at the beginning it creates to much of a lump.  Just wrap the floss around the bangle.  Once you start the knots it will stay in place.  You should have 2 tails and they should be of equal length.


Then your going to use a basic knot around all the floss and the bangle.  I did 10 knots for each color, repeating the pattern all the way around the bangle.  To have enough floss to make it all the way around the bangle make sure you use all of one color before using the next.  Meaning once I started knotting I used the same blue thread till it was too short then I used the second blue thread to finish off the bracelet.


When I got to the end I knotted it and cut the tails off leaving about an inch.  Then with a little white glue I wrapped the tails around the knot to cover it up. 

That's it!  What do you think?  Thankfully she loved them, and already gave some of them away.  Guess I will be making more....  
 

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter
 
 
 

13 comments:

  1. What a cute idea... I think my daughter would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice idea to use cheap bangles. We have about a million of those...well ok, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm sure they could do with a bit of a makeover!

    Thanks for linking to A Round Tuit. Hope you have a lovely week.

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh.. I think I may have worn some for YEARS with never having taken them off.. it would like a betrayal of friendship to remove the bracelet! These are such a great idea.. no more sogginess.. and I am your 100th follower.. yeah for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Not sure I can do it but would love to try! :)

    http://beadsbuttonsbubbles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Friendship bracelet is various styles and patterns, but most are based on the same simple half-hitch knot. The making of friendship bracelets is a version of bangle bracelet. Thanks a lot.

    Bracelets

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a child of the 80s...this made me nostalgic...

    :)

    Thanks for linking up to Creative Juice Thursday...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cute. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a lovely and cute idea... definitely worth doing to give old bracelets new life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! I am giggling at the wet bracelet complaint! My little one would be doing the same thing!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely bracelets!

    thanks for linking up at our crafty saturday party! can't wait to see what you have for next week!

    tosewwithlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a knot called Mermaids beads when I was young and making lots of bracelets. If you get all your colours and knot around all the threads you get the same effect.
    Thanks for reminding me of a great, quick craft for young friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you make the knots go around or does it do it by itself as you wrap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does it by itself as you wrap, but you are able to twist the knots to what ever direction you want as you go.

      Delete