Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Work-in-Progress Wednesday and a Question


Wow!  It has been a few weeks since I posted a WiP Wednesday.  I have been very busy over here in paradise doing this and that, but manly I have been cleaning my house.  I know it's only January but this is the time of year I usually do my spring cleaning.  You know, clean out the cabinets, wash the endless mirrors I have in this house (I live in Florida and my house was built in the 80's, enough said) and the list goes on and on.

But that doesn't mean I haven't been sewing, it has just been a lot of those little things like sewing Girl Scout patches on my daughters vest, hemming some pants for my neighbor, and sewing the the binding on this super cute quilt my friend Stacey made.
And, of coarse since it is the beginning of a new year, why not have a new quilt to start.  A friend of mine has asked that I made a memory quilt of her daughters baby things.  So, now my dining room table is covered in baby clothes.  That way there I can stare at them for hours on end and....
 ....try to sketch out a few option for her. 
I partial to the one on the bottom but will have to wait and see what she decides. I just can't wait to get started on this one. I have done a lot of memory quilts for boys, but there is nothing like all this pink to work with.
I recently started following Naptime Quilter and she hosts something called Workshop-in-Progress, where she invites you to share your fabric selection challenges, design wall dilemmas, quilting struggles, and general questions.  Love this!  This week she posted a question about marking your quilt tops for quilting and I was wondering about the same thing.

I have been working on hand quilting my scrap quilt and have been using my trusty marking pen and ruler for years but I wonder is there a better way? I don't like how the blue makes such a mess and sometimes it is hard to see the flow of the design with the blue being so distracting. Not to mention if you are working with dark fabrics, what to do then....
So how do you mark your quilt for quilting? I would especially love to here from any hand quilters out there.

14 comments:

  1. Sorry I am not of much help. I don't mark my quilts for quilting. Mostly I use the seams as guides, or just do an all over pattern.

    I do love the way you plan out your quilts on graph paper. Great way to see the contrast and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only marked a quilt once - years ago. I was a newbie :-) I asked at my local quilt shop and back then they suggested marking it with chalk (I used a stencil and a chalk-pounce-bag thingie.) Well, I tried it and within minutes, the chalk had all been brushed off. So much for that. Since then I've given up on hand quilting. I have wanted to try marking again though, so I'm interested to see what you learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working on my first quilt, so haven't done any marking yet (though will be doing my quilting by hand). I like your graph paper patterns - that's how I do it too. How will you work with the knits that most baby clothes seem to be made of?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I'm doing nothing but straight lines, I use masking tape for two reasons, one no lines to clean (bonus!), and I can remove and replace it very easily if I need to 'see' the pattern. I find that it's a godsend on dark fabrics too.

    Otherwise, I use a no. 2 pencil that I use very lightly on light fabrics and chalk on darker fabrics to execute any curves in my designs; though I have been known just to free-hand the designs just so I don't have to mark the quilt.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are pencils out there made by Roxanne, I think - I got a pack of two silver (for dark fabrics) and two white (for light fabrics). They work pretty well, especially if they're nice and sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, can't wait to see what you do with the memory quilt. A friend has asked me to do one and I'm too scared.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there....I handquilt all the time...I use the air soluable pens...purple in colour; but dissappear in no time on their own,....love them

    For dark dark fabrics; I find soap is great..good luck. The designs are lovely; all of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use the Clover blue water soluble markers on light cloth and the white clover pen for dark fabrics. The white pen marks disappear with a steam iron. LOVE both of these products!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That memory quilt looks like it will be lots of fun!

    I use the blue water-soluble pens as well. It works okay, although I feel like the ones I buy run out of ink awfully quick.

    Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love scrap quilts, yours is no exception!

    ReplyDelete
  11. my blue water-soluble ink pens run out of ink too fast as well. you might want to try the washable crayola markers - i've heard that those work pretty well.

    for the first quilt i did, i didn't do any marking - i just followed the pattern of the quilt back fabric (lots of circles in various shapes).

    the one i'm starting on today i'll probably just eyeball it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just bought a Sewline pencil and you can get graphite lead or white chalk lead, or even colored chalk. I LOVE it. The graphite is very thin, like a mechanical pencil, and the white chalk is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am in the middle of handquilting also (drop by if you would like-smile). So far I have used the blue pen on the lighter fabrics and a mechanical pencil on the darker ones. I would love to check into the Sewline pencil mentioned above.
    Have a great weekend!!
    Sincerely, Trish

    ReplyDelete