Thursday, January 27, 2011

Working with Oil Cloth - Cosmetic Bag and Tote

OK, I have had this idea for a project using oil cloth for a while now but have been afraid, very afraid, of buying any.  Hey, we are on a budget over here, and didn't want to invest in the yardage only to hate working with it.  So, to make a long story very short my Mom came by yesterday with a bag of scraps for me, and there was a healthy piece oil cloth.  Perfect! I couldn't wait to get started.   

First, just let me say the print is horrible!  Totally not my style, but since one can't have to many bags when shlepping kids around, I decided this would be the perfect project when testing out my oil cloth.  I used one of those free project patterns that you get at Jo Ann's for the beach tote.  Next time I'll spend the money and buy a pattern, because the instructions were terrible.  Seriously, I know how to follow a pattern but for the life of me I hard time figuring this one out.  Thankfully it came out fine, just don't look at the lining inside.  :) 


Once I got the bag done I had a small piece left over, so I decided to make a cosmetic bag.  Thankfully after the aggravation I had with the bag, this was a project I could handle without any help from a patttern.


I cut 2- 9 1/2" by 6 3/4" rectangles and used a 9" black zipper. 

Note: You can make this in any size you want.  Just make sure the lenght of the rectangle is 1/2" longer than the zipper you are using.  The height can also be adjusted, 6 3/4" was just the size of the scraps I had left over from the bag.


With right sides together sew the zipper along the top of your oilcloth rectangles.


Then turn over and topstitch on the right side of the oilcloth.


Open the zipper, and with right sides together sew together the three sides of the bag.  Crop the corners and trim off the excess.  Turn right side out.

and learn from my mistake, and make sure the bottom seam is going in the same direction on either side.  :)

The Verdict: Love, Love, Love working with oilcloth.  It goes through the machine smooth, it is stiff but not too stiff, and the best part the edges don't fray.  I definitely see more oilcloth in my future. 


13 comments:

  1. LOVE the bags and I think the print is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I used oilcloth to make my daughter an artist apron once. I really liked it but couldn't find any cute prints after that first time. Such a shame too. I found it at a sort of general store and it was very cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute, I love the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so timely! I was just looking at some oilcloth online and contemplating buying some. Now I just might! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bags look great, and the pattern is really cute! I've been thinking of using some oil cloth you might have just convinced me! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's adorable! Fabulous job!
    Did you know you can make your own?! Get the iron vinyl and your favorite fabric... I like using upholstry weight, but any without pile works best... Then iron the stuff on as the directions say and Voila! DIY oil cloth! WAY cheaper!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love oil cloth...{I just saw Allie's tip...I will make my OWN!}

    Thanks for linking up to Creative Juice last week.

    FYI: Creative Juice is on hiatus until the week of Valentine's Day because of The Beat the Winter Blues Party.

    If you have any cool photo project you'd like to link up...stop by!

    http://momnivoresdilemma.blogspot.com/2011/02/beat-winter-blues-tackle-those.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it turned out great and actually like the fabric. Great way to try out a new fabric and pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Νice blog! Iѕ youг theme cuѕtom madе or ԁid you download it from somewheгe?
    A desіgn like yours with а few simрle
    tweeks would rеally mаke mу blog jump out.
    Please let mе know wherе you gоt youг theme.
    Thаnκs
    My website - blogs.dal.ca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty nice post. I just stumblеd uрon your blog and ωished to
    ѕaу that I've really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I'll be subscribing to your fеed аnd I hope you
    write again very soon!
    Visit my web-site :: accountant st albans

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi theгe сolleagues, hοw is evеrything, and
    whаt you wіsh for to sаy concerning this articlе, іn my view its really remarκable deѕigned for
    me.
    Feel free to surf my homepage : lip enhancing products

    ReplyDelete