Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Work-in-Progress Wednesday

Happy Work in Progress Wednesday to you! 

Finally some progress has been made in the sewing department.   


I have about half of the square cut out for the memory quilt I'm doing for a friend.  Now I have to get a little creative and figure out a way to attach the cute little feet on to the squares, but still make them look like feet.  Any suggestions?  Ever seen this done on a quilt?


My Miniature HST quilt top is basted and ready to be quilted.  I even ran out to the store today just for the white tread and I never do that.  I always try to wait till I have I few things on my list before I head out, but I am so excited about finishing this one. 

Before I start I do have just one little question.... when machine quilting do you prefer to use cotton thread or all purpose?  I am a hand quilter so this is totally foreign to me.


And then of course there is a new project on my sewing table, because I need one of those like I need a hole in the head.  :) 

A while back I received a bag of these strips from a friend.  They have just been calling out to me ever since.  So, wish me luck because I am going to try my hand at paper piecing a string quilt.


Unfortunately my poor scrap quilt has been sitting in its basket lonely and neglected.  I will try and love her this week....

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


11 comments:

  1. Love the progress on your memory quilt. It's going to be adorable. Sorry I have no ideas about the feet. I've never seen that done.
    Love your HST quilt. I usually use metzler or aurifil to quilt. I believe those are 100% cotton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your HST quilt - the colors are perfect! I always use 100% cottong to quilt. Can't wait to see your string quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of those little feet - have you thought about stuffing them with toy filling and then handstitching them (so you can't see it) to the Quilt? or maybe add some cord to the feet and put buttons on the quilt so you can hang the cord from the buttons??
    My prefernce for machine quilting is whatever thread I can get the colour I most like - that doesnt help much does it? but you really have to decide if you want a 'flat' thread like cotton - or something with a sparkle. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you thought of doing some trapunto with them in profile ... so you would see them in profile and they would only be slightly raised verses having them stick really far out? I can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is machine quilting thread, which is what I use.
    Love your mini HST quilt. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your HST quilt! I always use 100% cotton thread when quilting. Can't wait to see how you quilt it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mini HST quilt is wonderful, I just finished my first value quilt; aren't they super fun! Good luck with the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see your progress on the String quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I'm stumped on the feet, but I bet you'll come up with something cute! I'm still in love with your HST quilt, can't wait to see how you quilt it. I always use cotton thread for my machine quilting.

    Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I am of no help to you but I am looking forward to seeing 'feet' and your 'string quilt'. They are lovely coloured strips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm an all cotton kind of girl. All the time and I do all my own machine quilting.

    Could you use the feet to make flaps. Sew them into the quilt top. I think Syko had a top with flaps on it...

    As for the strings, have you thought about using a thin muslin for a foundation? No paper to remove then.

    ReplyDelete