I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Easy Pin Toppers

Have you ever been on Etsy and drooled over the cute and creative pin toppers?  When I was putting together my pin cushion and some goodies for the Scrappy Pin Cushion Swap I wanted to include some decorative pin toppers but could find any that were suitable for the flamingo theme I was going for.  That meant I was going to have to make my own or more on, but you know how it is when you have something in your mind and you need to see it through.  So since there is no way I would be able to mold any thing out of clay, never mind the fact it would have to be on a miniature scale.  I decided to head over to Michael's and see what I could find.   


The bead section was my first stop but honestly I couldn't find anything that I likes or matched my theme.  Besides I didn't really want to just glue a bead to the top of a pin.  I figured it would be lame and look cheesy, but after searching the store I was back in the bead department.  But this time the creative juices were flowing and  realized if I could find extra long pins and if I could pop the heads off, the right bead just might work.  Then I found these.  They were perfect, and see how it makes a simple pin cushion look all fancy. 


These are the things I used to make my Pin Toppers.  I found the extra long pins at Wal-mart of all places.  (Jo-Anns just didn't have what I was looking for.)  The beads at Michael's, the pliers out of my husbands tool bag and the super glue I had hanging around the house. 


First with the pliers I popped the off the yellow flower heads.  This step was hard to picture but you understand right?  Hold the pin with the needle nose pliers and the flower with the other pair of pliers, then pull.  They come off fairly easy with a little muscle.  Just be careful not to bend your pins.


Then stick the end of the pin in the super glue so you have a good bead of glue on the end.


Stick your pin in the bead and slide back and forth to distribute the glue evenly.  Then let the glue set per manufacturers direction.  Once they had set I gave the pins tops a good tug to make sure they weren't going anywhere.  Just to be safe.


Since these were going to have to go through the mail I couldn't just leave them in the pin cushion so I made a large matchbook out of cardstock and felt.  I love how they came out and if you are not a regular follower of my blog here is what I sent my swap partner with a couple of fat quarters.


30 comments:

  1. Well Dang! Aren't you the crafty one! I see a craft project in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute...love it. In fact, I love it SO much I'm going to feature you this Sunday. Be sure to stop by and check it out.

    Jessica
    myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are super cute. I'd love if you linked these up to SewWoodsy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh way to go!!! Now that is some creative thinking! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute and what a sweet gift for your swap. Found you at Sew Woodsy's linky party! ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wondered what to use to make fancy pins. Thanks for the idea. That is such a cute pin cushion. I used to collect flamingos and still have a few around the house. Love it, love it, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love crafty blogs! I can't get enough! This idea is wonderful! I’m a new follower Happy Friday!! I would love for you to stop and take a look at my blog as well! Thanks!
    http://heavenlysavings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute, cute, cute! Thanks for the tutorial, I think I can do that: )

    ReplyDelete
  9. very cute. I love the pin cushion too!

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've featured this...please stop by, check it out, grab a button :)

    http://myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com/2011/03/sunday-stalker-3.html

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute idea. I love your pin cushions also. Don't forget to join me for More The Merrier Monday and link up all of your great projects.


    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great! I love the pin cushion and the pins. This is a great gift, especially for a sewer.

    http://itsybitsypaper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea to customise your own pin toppers! And that pincushion is just beautiful!! Lucky swap partner of yours!!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is an adorable presentation. I am definitely going to look for those pins TODAY. What do you fill your pincushions with, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that is so cool! I love it! You put so much thought and time into it, what a great swap partner. It shows that you care...great job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute! I like the idea of personalizing pins. Your swap partner is lucky because you put alot of thought into your project.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Omg your partner is so lucky to receive that. I love your theme and how you carried it threw.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh what a great idea!!

    ps ... please email me your scrap swap info!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are sooo adorable! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo party!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They turned out so cute! And yes I also drool over all the cute pins you can find on etsy! I really love your square pink pincushion in the first pic too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE this idea! The pins are a perfect match to the cushion and making the matchbook pincase was such a sweet detail. It's the little things like this that make even a small gift so special! I would be crazy excited to get that package in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is genius! Great job. Thanks for sharing over at Tuesday Tell All.

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW! That is fantastic!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie last week! I can't wait to see what you have for this week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! those pin toppers are really cute. also your pin cushion! I am featuring it today. do grab a featured button ^^)

    thanks for linking up and I hope to see you again this week! have a nice weekend! ^^)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! Love that flamingo! And what an easy fix for pin toppers! :). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.