Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Pleated Corner Pin Cushion

Here we go, as promised, a quick tutorial for a Pleated Corner Pin Cushion.  I made this pin cushion for myself a while ago, remember my Easy Pin Topper tutorial, well I needed a pin cushion for the picture.  I know, how sad, but how do you take a picture of pins without a pin cushion?  The things we do for craft blogs.

 Anyways, I really like it, so, when I joined another pin cushion swap, I thought I would make one for my partner as well.  This time, I took pictures so, I could share.  I hope you like it as much as I do. 


You will need, 2-5" squares, a couple of buttons, and some poly-fil.


Cut 2 - 5" squares and mark the center of each square (on the front) with chalk or water soluble ink.  So it is not permanent.


Fold each square in half diagonally and measure in an inch from the edge and pin, as pictured above.  Then open up the pleat and pin on either side to hold the pleat in place.


Here is the view of the pleat from the inside.


Once you have all 4 corners done it should look like this.


Turn one side right side out and place inside the other with right sides together.  Baste.  Trust me, it is much easier to sew without all the pins.  Sew around the edge leaving an opening to turn right side out and to stuff.

Also, if you are working with directional fabric, like me, make sure to make note that both sides are going in the same direction.  Unlike me, and I already sent out my pin cushion to my swap partner.  I am now just noticing the fabric in these pictures.  :(


Now you need to fill your pin cushion halfway with poly-fil.  Then find the center that you marked earlier and tuff with 2 buttons and some embroidery floss.  Finish filling your pin cushion with poly-fil till it is firm. 


Once you are finished filling your pin cushion with poly-fil, close up the opening by hand with a needle and thread.


All done!  Now you have your very own cute little pin cushion.  Enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. Great tutorial....thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm beside you at Handmade Tuesday. I love this pin cushion! I'm a sewer and have used the magnetic thing for a while...I think I'm due for a change. Can't wait to try this. Come visit my blog if you have time...I'm following you now too. ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's adorable! It looks like it was a lot harder to make than it is. It has such a cute little shape!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this! Its PERFECT for you to Link up at my Linky PAR-TAY,

    Whassup Wednesday!!!

    And I have a party button you can grab so your friends can come too:)

    *ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute! Thanks for linking up to Tuesday Tell All.

    Melissa
    MyCraftieLife.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this little Linnie :) might have to try it out tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making pincushions and this one is adorable! Thanks for the how to! I may try to make one! Enjoy your day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun tutorial! I never would've noticed you didn't line up the direction of the fabric if you hadn't pointed it out... gotta love when stuff like that happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful - and great tutorial!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how this looks!
    Visiting you from Tater Tots and Jello!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love a good sewing tute and this one delivers. I think this is a good craft club or scouts project. And I can make it to match whatever I want! Thank you for linking to the beagle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the look of this! Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday - you've been featured at today's party - be sure to stop by and grab a Featured On button:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is so cute and sweet! I need one of these! Thanks for linking up to Quiltstory!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm still using the ghetto little tomato that came with some cheap-o sewing kit from when i was in high school...lol...

    that is far easier on the eyes...

    thanks for sharing this at creative juice...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are you selling these? I love it but just don't have time to make one for myself. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so cute! thanks for sharing! will be featuring this today! ^^)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! Your project is one of the nominated projects for TSWL's Finest of April 2011. Voting will start on the first week of May. I will give you your vote for me badge days before that so you can display it on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! Too cute-and thanks for the tutorial!aryC

    ReplyDelete