I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Machine Quilting with Freezer Paper

I have had this idea in my head for a while now and today I did a little experimenting.  I wanted to see if you could use freezer paper successfully when machine quilting.  Guess what you can!  Thank goodness because let's face it you can't always use a straight line or a meandering stitch on every quilt.  Sometimes you just want something different. 

Now, I have seen a technique out there in blogland using tissue paper.  Where draw your design onto tissue paper, and pin it to your quilt, but I had a hard time with it.  The tissue paper either tears or it moved around too much.  I liked the idea of the freezer paper staying put, like when you use it for stenciling or applique.    


On the dull side of the freezer paper I used a cookie cutter to trace some chubby stars and then I cut them out.


Then placing the shiny side of the freezer paper down onto the fabric, I ironed them.


Next, I prepared my "quilt" sandwich....


.... and lowered my feed dogs.  Then I quilted around the stars.


 Now, I know these stars seem a little simplistic, but this was an experiment.  Now, imagine if you wanted to quilt something a little more intricate like an animal or some letters.  The freezer paper acts at your guide and since it sticks to the fabric it is less likely to move around, like the tissue paper, as you quilt.

Next, I am going to pull out the Cricut to see how it cuts freezer paper.  I think I see some letters in my future. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness--what a great idea! I am so scared of quilting, but I think this would be great for a new quilter like me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I have used freezer paper in the cricut and it does work, just make sure your blade is sharp, I have had it tear my paper.

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, glad you tried this. Thanks for letting us all know about how this works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea....one I'll be trying soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it.
    Freezers

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.