I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Monday, April 11, 2011

A Mug Rug?

My mother stopped by today with a project for me.  Hmmm...really?  You need it done today?  Ok, what do ya need.  Sorry, I know, a little harsh?  I didn't mean to be but at this point in my day I hadn't had my coffee yet and I was being put to work....again.  See my mother is the "idea" person and I am the one who executes them for her.  So, once we rectified the coffee situation and my brain was functioning again, I could concentrate on the task at hand. 

Ok, so here is what she wanted....

Over sized coasters for coffee mugs, that matched her table runner.  Easy, can you say mug rug?  No, of course not, she wanted "Coasters" you know, like cork, but really big.  So, after a bit of brainstorming, rummaging through my fabric stash, and a trip to Michael's, we came up with these.


Fabric covered, 6" cork tiles.  I wasn't sure if it was going to work at first....sewing fabric onto 1/4 inch cork seemed kinda risky.  Especially after my recent mishap with the Velcro


Thankfully, they were really easy to do and only took me about 20 minutes from start to finish.

To do them, I traced the cork tile onto a scrap of fabric (about a 8" square) with a pencil.  Then using that line as my guide I folded, and ironed the fabric to finish the edge, and I mitered the corners to reduce the bulk in the corners.  Once this was done, all I had to do was sew it on to the cork tile.  This time I pulled out the big guns, my heavy duty needles, (to be on the safe side), and with the longest stitch I could use, I sewed the fabric onto the cork. 

And, so I can sleep well at night don't try this project unless you think your machine can handle the bulk.  I would hate to be responsible for ruining your machine.  Do this at your own risk!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! That is impressive. I don't think I would have had the guts to put it under the needle--hot glue would have been my answer. I am so impressed with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny, I just made coasters tonight, too - but no cork. You go, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How embarrassing, "concentrate." That will teach me to proof read before I click Publish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! what machine do you have? They look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easy quick project! I, too, would like to know what kind of "work horse" you have. lol

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.