I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My Pink & Green String Quilt

Remember these? 
 A while back I blogged about how I received a some scraps from a friend and how I was going to try my hand at paper piecing a string quilt for the first time.  If your new around here you can read more about it here and here.


I know!  I didn't realize either that it had been since February since I last worked on them.  I knew they had been sitting on my sewing table for a while now...but really?  Well, to be totally honest once I had the blocks complete I had no interest in tearing off all that paper and I wasn't quite sure how I was going to lay them out.  Then, I came up with a really cool layout.  Something I haven't seen anywhere, but I would have had to rework almost all the blocks.  So, I decided that quilt was going to need to be started from scratch in different fabrics, but I still had all these blocks....


You like?  It is more of a traditional layout but I really love how it came out.  The pink and green was really calling out to be a baby quilt anyways.


Besides I needed some more practice quilting on the machine and that is always better with smaller projects.  This is the first time I tried using the blue painters tape....and... well I didn't love it.  I felt like there was a lot of waste.  I tried to reuse as much of the tape as I could but it still seemed like I was throwing a lot of it way because when I would reposition it, it would tear and I couldn't use it again.  I can't imagine how much tape a full size quilt would have used.  So, I must ask, do you feel the same way?  or is it just me?  If you have any tips on using tape as a guide I would love to hear them.


This by far was my biggest problem I keep sewing into the tape and I spent alot of time carefully picking tape out of the stitches.  Not fun!  I know part of my problem is that I need new glasses and the foot I was using didn't help me in that department. 


15 comments:

  1. Beautiful baby quilt! Love the colors. I have never used the painters tape in that way so I have no suggestions for your there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the string quilt! On one of my first quilts, I used painter's tape too, and have never used it again. I now just cut a piece of cardstock however many inches wide that I want the lines to be, and hold it against the last stitching line as a guide, just moving it along as I sew. I've been known to tape a similar piece of stiff paper onto the foot as well for smaller widths. They make those metal seam guides, but I've never liked them either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is great! I've wanted to try one of these string quilts for awhile now, maybe someday I'll get to it. I've never used tape as a guide, but I'm pretty new to quilting and have only done really simple stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a lovely quilt; beautiful colours....I don't like painters tape either....hve you just tried drawing one line in the center of the quilt, then just going the width of the foot after that? Takes lots of thread; but......someone on here told me they do that.. I forgot who; but her quilt looked wonderful after finished....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the quilt - it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Such a wonderful job!!!

    amber @ http://barbwired0117.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pink & green! It would go perfectly in my grand daughter's pink & green room. = )

    ReplyDelete
  8. v. pretty - - I just draw lines on my quilt using a yard stick and either disappearing ink or chalk - depending on the fabric color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this quilt! So pretty!

    When I do straight-line quilting, I usually mark the first line (in the middle of the quilt) then use my walking foot with the seam guide to space the rest of the lines. I think painter's tape would be a nuisance.

    I started a Christmas string quilt a few months ago. It's become my go-to project when I don't want to start anything new. I haven't touched it for a while, but seeing your quilt makes me want to take it out again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt turned out so pretty. I've never used the painters tape but I can see it would probably be easier to deal with on small-ish projects...I do agree though that there's a lot of waste since it doesn't like to re-stick. I'm visiting for Fabric Tuesday. I'd love to have come by for a visit!

    Pink Sparkles for your day,
    Stephanie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful colors! I like the straight line quilting. I started quilting mine yesterday and decided on stippling. I'm intimidated by straight lines - they're never straight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your quilt..and the colors are great! I have never used tape but I've heard of quilters tape that is very narrow. Maybe that will take away the feeling of "wasting". The quilt looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty! I really love the colors! I think some new glasses and a bigger machine are in order :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just was looking through your finished quilts again - so pretty! The tip I've heard on the painter's tape is to stitch 1/4 inch from it (using your 1/4 inch foot), so that you don't run over it. I'm with you, though - I hate the waste (and I'm allergic to adhesive, so tape and I don't get along well anyway!) I use my metal seam guide or a foot for spacing, and I like that pretty well, actually. I've also drawn lines using disappearing ink, but...I'm not always fast enough to get to it, so...not the best option!
    I love your work and your blog! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete