I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Work in Progress Wednesday - Memory Quilting

On my sewing table this week is the start of another memory quilt.


Remember these?  These are the clothes that will make up the quilt.  I have been spending some time going through them, making some sketches, and trying to decide the direction I want this quilt to go in.  I am very excited about what I have to work with, except this...


Meet my nemesis - the onsie/dress!  There is always one.

I know, cute enough, and super adorable on.  So, why the contempt? 

It is one of the hardest garments to include in a memory quilt.  Baby clothes are hard enough to work with but this one really....well, let's just say I have worked it a time or two before, and the results have less than stellar.  Either the pleats don't lay down right or tank style top trows off my block measurements. 


This time I think I had a moment of clarity, because as I was cutting out some of the other blocks I had the idea to applique it onto a piece from the back to maintain the look of the tank, and to top stitch the pleats down, so they don't move or shift.


I think I might actually be happy with the way it turned out.  What do you think?

Well, this is what I have going on this week.  Want to see what everybody else is up to?  Jump on over to Freshly Pieced and take a peek.

6 comments:

  1. I think it looks fantastic! I really love the idea of memory quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came out great. I totally agree about the onsie, not easy to work with; but now you've conquered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking good, great solution to the onsie-dress problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks REALLY good! I have a stack of my baby's clothes to make her a quilt... I should just bite teh bullet and get going on it. it might be ready by the time she is ready to have a baby, LOL!

    ReplyDelete