Since you ladies went nuts for these pin toppers that were part of my giveaway, I thought it only fair to share how I made them.
(I also listed a few in my Etsy Shop.)
You will need a few tools for this project, but I assure you all these tools I found in my little tool kit my husband bought me.
The brads I found at Michael's, and the tin foil and metal nail file I found around the house. I like using tin foil when using E-6000 it helps protect your work surface and it makes for a easy clean-up.
First with the pliers I popped the off the yellow flower heads. This step was hard to picture but you understand right? Hold the pin with the needle nose pliers and the flower with the other pair of pliers, then pull. They come off fairly easy with a little muscle. Just be careful not to bend your pins
Next, with wire cutters, I removed the prongs off the back of the brad. This will leave you with a little metal burr that you will need to remove. I used a metal nail file but I am sure a fine grit sandpaper will do the trick as well.
Note: To save yourself a lot of time sanding down the metal, try to remove as much of the prong as you can.
Now that you have your brads and your pins ready, it is time to put them together. For this I used E-6000 adhesive, because it is great when working with metals and it is flexible, unlike super glue. Again, I had trouble photographing this step, but I think it is easy enough to understand.
Working on a tin foil surface I placed a bead of adhesive on the back of the brad. Then with a pin (or toothpick) I spread the adhesive evenly in the well of the brad, and placed a prepared pin in the well.
This is what the backside should look like when you are finished.
Once the glue has set and you find you have a few streamers, take your metal nail file and gently remove them, being careful not the disturb the adhesive.