I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Baby Memories - A finished Quilt

I really enjoy doing these memory quilts for babies.  They are just so much more fun to design than plain old t-shirts.  It is also a great way to save all those cute outfits that, as sappy moms we can't seem to part with.  This quilt I did for a friend.   


I have a very special place in my heart for my friend Rebecca and her daughter Claudia.  Claudia and my daughter Rose are close in age and have grown up together.  As new moms Rebecca and I shared many concerns and milestones as are girls grew up.  Now the girls are 8 and it seems like a lifetime ago.  Some of the outfits that in the quilt I remember fondly as things Claudia wore often.


Including Barney, don't you think Barney looks cuter on the back?  He stands out instead of getting lost in the crowd.  I tormented myself for weeks over this decision.  Which, as some of you might know, can slow down the quilting process considerably.  It is hard when you are making a quilt for somebody else.  Especially knowing  how much Barney meant to Claudia and the many memories he represents. 


Quilt Details:
Fabrics: Baby clothes, quilting classic lavender, Rickey Tims Rhapsodie Coloree on the back, and Dream Green batting
Finished Quilt Measurements: 45" x 60"
Blocks and Piecing: 9" scrap blocks, in a 4 x 5 layout
Quilting: Straight line quilting

I am linking up to Fabric Tuesday over at QuiltStory.

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea - a memory quilt from baby clothes! And yours is truly beautiful, your friend is really lucky to get this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barney on the back = great idea. I'm sure your friend will be very touched with your very thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful thing to do with your children's old baby clothes! I wish I had saved some as I'd do that very same thing today! Kudos to you, that quilt will be a treasured gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt! Makes me wonder if I have any of the girls' baby clothes around to make baby quilts for their own children some day. That would be cool!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.