I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Applique With Your Cricut Machine

I got a Circut a while back from my husband and I have been having a lot of fun with it, but what I have really wanted to do with it is cut fabric letters and shapes and applique them onto quilts. 
  
Sounds easy enough....Just iron the fabric to a product like Steam-a-Seam and cut.  Ummm,  yeah, I wish it was that easy.  I just couldn't get it to stick to the mat, or cut the fabric.  It has been very frustrating! 
  
So, after some trial and error and a whole package of Steam-a-Seam later....here are a few things that I learned:

1. Prepare your fabric- I gave my fabric (100% cotton) a good dose of spray starch and then ironed it to my Steam-a-Seam following manufacturers directions.  (I starched the fabric because I found the stiffer the fabric was the better it cut.)


2. Peel the paper backing off, before sticking it to your mat.  The wax paper won't stick to your mat no matter how hard you try.  I assumed you needed the paper in order to cut the fabric.  Apparently you don't, but this is why the spray starch is important.


3. Adhere your fabric, Steam-a-Seam down, onto your mat.  Then use your scrapper or bone folder and rub it onto your mat.  This step is very important.  You must get all the bubbles out and all of the fabric must be sticking to the mat.  It is the only way to get a clean cut.


5. Here are the settings I used:

Blade on 5
Speed on low
Pressure on max

I would also suggest using a new blade or a blade used just for fabrics.


It would also be a good idea to cut out your design first using scrap paper, to make sure placement and size are correct.  I use the Cricut Plantin SchoolBook Cartridge, with 4" letters.


I definitely see more of this in my future.  You should see the ideas I have swirling around in my head.   

11 comments:

  1. This is perfect timing! I just got a Cricut, and we jsut moved so I need to decorate : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt looks great! Nice way to cut your letters out neatly!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius idea! I love the fabric you used!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this. I had been wondering if you could cut fabric with a Cricut, but wasn't brave enough to try to find out myself. Thanks for doing all the dirty work!

    evanbecky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I love using my cricut to cut out fabric!

    I'd love if you would join us over at Sew Woodsy and link up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw you on the ddc linky, now google following you, please pop by, Karima x
    www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you shared this because I tried cutting fabric a few times before giving up in frustration! I found you @ Momnivore's Dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. super cute so glad to know that it can also cut fabric

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! I always wondered if my Cricut would do that and know I know! Thanks so much for sharing your fun tutorial with the Pink Hippo Party! .. Love your quilt and can't wait to see what you share next!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.