Sunday, July 24, 2011

Hang Your Quilt Using Corner Pockets & Command Hooks

Today while I working on my mini quilt for DQS11, it occurred to me that it isn't much discussed how to hang these lovelies.  Or maybe it is, and I just haven't noticed?  I hope that isn't the case, but you know, it happens.  :) 
 
 
Anyways, after I finished my quilting and squared up my quilt, I cut 2 - 31/2" squares and ironed them in half diagonally.

 
Then I placed the triangles in the top 2 corners and used a zig-zag stitch to secure along the edge, reinforcing the ends.


Once my corner triangles were attached, I sewed on my binding and did a quick check to the front to make sure all my zig-zag stitching was hidden in my seam allowance.


I hand sew my binding to the back with a invisible stitch, but if you wish to do it by machine, that is fine, either methods will work.
 

Once your binding is on, you are ready to hang your precious little lovely. 

In the above picture I have a piece of 1/4" board that I had stole from my husband's wood pile.  I like it because it lays flat and doesn't bow.  You can get board like this in the lumber section at your local hardware store and sometimes even at the craft store.  It is inexpensive (at the hardware store) for a long piece and it cuts simply with a hand saw.  Just sand down any rough edges, and you are ready to go.

I like to attach Command Hooks to my wall when I hang quilts, for 2 reasons...
  1. It is easy to move around or change the quilts I have up on my wall.
  2. I am horrible about how I measure, and where the nails should go.  I usally just eyeball it, and end up with way too many holes in the wall.  I don't have that problem with the Command Hooks. 

Isn't she pretty all bright and happy?  I think I might be a little sad to see her go, but she was made for another.  I just hope my partner loves her as much as I do. 



Disclaimer: This is not a sponsered post. All opions are my own. If you know of a product similar to Command, I am sure it would work just as well. I just happen to like this product and thought I would share.



21 comments:

  1. Gorgeous bright quilt! and a great little tutorial for how to hang one!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea & your quilt is lovely. Bright and cheerful and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I love the corner pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful little quilt and another great way to hang a small quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I have bookmarked this and will be using it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oo I'm pinning this for later. I have a wall hanging and I want to hang it better than I have it now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is genius! I have been wanting to hang some mini quilts, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! I'm going to try this on my next wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This could not have been more timely -- I'm just finishing a small wall hanging and will be adding these corners. Thanks so much for the {great} idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you make this look easy! Thank you for linking up at Sew Woodsy last week. Hope you'll join us again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this great idea. I'm pinning it to spread your word.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tute, I'm just making my first wall hanging quilt now. I'm not sure what command hooks are though, I haven't seen them before. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Command hooks are made by 3M and can be removed very easily without damage to your wall. Available at Walmart and hardware stores, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that quilt! So bright and colorful! What pattern is it? I want to make one to brighten my walls!
    Thanks!
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! And thanks for the awesome idea to hang wall quilts! :-)

      Delete
  16. THIS IS AN AWESOME CRAFT AND TUTORIAL WILL BE SO HELPFUL WHEN SEWING IT. I HAVE ADDED IT TO MY FAVORITES AND AM EXCITED TO MAKE 1 OR SEVERAL. THANK YOU FOR SHARING


    Bernysblessings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete