Sunday, July 17, 2011

Jeweled Bobby Pins {a tutorial}

Believe it or not, but I am actually starting to think about Christmas.  This year I am going to be organized.   Of course I say that every year, but this year I really am going to try.   I would love if I could make it a handmade Christmas, but I do realize with 3 kids and a husband who travels, that might be a little difficult.

First up, some Jeweled Bobby Pins.  On my Christmas List I have some friends and cousins who live up north, that have school aged daughters.  Every year I try to find (or make) them something cute or unique, but they must be small, lightweight, and easily shipped.  Nothing worse than paying more for shipping than the gift is worth.

 

For this project you are going to need some bobby pins with a wide bar, beads, and some fishing line.  I did try this out with some jewelry/craft wire, but I was not happy with the results.  The fishing line worked much better.


First, I cut a length of fishing line about 25 inches long.  Then, I threaded it through the back of the bobby pin and centered it.  Then I inserted both ends of the line through the bead, and slid it down to the end.

Lay your bead flat on the bar of the bobby pin and cross each side of your line under the top bar, then bring the line up again, as pictured above.
Repeat till you have the desired amount of beads on your bobby pin.

Once you have the desired amount of beads along your bobby pin it is time to secure the ends.  Too do this take both ends of the line and and insert it back through the last bead, pull tight, and knot. 


Then pull it through one more bead and snip off the extra line. 


As you can see we had some fun today with some different bead combinations.
 

25 comments:

  1. These are beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial. I'd love to try making these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so pretty - and a great idea for something light to post!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks easy 2 make and soooooooooooo cute! i would love to see that in somebodys hair instead of plain bobbypins!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty hair pins!
    I also noticed your braided ribbon barettes on the left side. I use to wear tons of these as a kid and last year I made a bunch for my girls...they LOVED them.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Catch A Falling Star
    http://starry-delight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so cool! You are going to make some girls very happy for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great! Wow, Christmas? ...yea, I need to think of that now. You will probably hit your goal since you are setting a goal now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome!! looks way fun:)thank you so much for sharing and linkin up with tell me tuesday!!
    you rock!
    xoxo
    ash

    ReplyDelete
  8. tese are adorable!

    come link it to my woot woot wednesday linky party!

    http://tootsiewootsieboutique.blogspot.com/2011/07/woot-woot-wednesdays-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to try making these with my Girl Scout troop. They will love this.

    missmaggiesplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice. I like how you secured them with the fishing line rather than just using glue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these, so cute, I must make some for my girls too. Thanks. from your new follower Rose
    form http://sewstylishboutique.blogspot.com/
    Hope to see you around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What pretty little pins -- my daughter would LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, friend! You've got so much creativity here and I'm admiring them all. Can you please share your creative posts at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great tutorial, I love these! I am so happy you linked up with Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop, I am co-hosting this week and I am so happy I found you there! I must have been living under a rock not to know about this awesome blog! Now following, I hope you can stop by and visit soon!

    creativecarmella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job! Thank you for linking up last week at Sew Woodsy! Please come back tomorrow and link up your most recent project!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I use bobbie pins all the time to keep my bangs from falling into my eyes. I have very fine hair- I like hoe you jazzed yours up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are so pretty!! Just the right amount of bling!

    We host a linky party “Help a Momma Out” every Tuesday. This would be a perfect link up! Please feel free to add it :) We appreciate it! Thanks for sharing!

    Kristine
    www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, you make that look easy. I think they'd make great Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are very pretty! Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so honored that you chose to join the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. Thank you for adding this special masterpiece to rock my party :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh my! you make this look so easy to make! and they are so pretty. we love it so much we are featuring it tomorrow on the blog. Do grab the featured button if you fancy so. votation starts tomorrow. have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So cute!

    I’d love it if you shared this with the Fun Family Crafts audience.
    FFC is similar to Craftgawker but it only features kid friendly tutorials.

    Looking forward to seeing what fun crafts you submit!
    http://funfamilycrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are really adorable, this will also work on hair barettes. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete