I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Machine Embroidery - Framed Art

Have you ever wanted to frame any of the great machine embroidery designs that are out there?  I love this design that I got from Urban Threads and it is perfect for one of the swaps I have coming up.  I have unsuccessfully tried to frame machine embroidery designs in the past, but the fabric alone, just isn't strong enough, and if you have a dense design like this on the fabric tends to pucker and doesn't lay flat. 

 If you are a regular follower of my blog you may know that I love this product from Pellon, called Peltex 72F Double-sided Fusible Ultra Firm Stabilizer.  I have great results when using it for machine embroidery, and this project is just screaming for me to use it.  


You will need a few things:
  • a frame (with or without the glass)
  • the tread you need to digitize your design
  • your machine's hoop with a inside of at least 8"x6"
  • Sticky - or similar self-adhesive, tear-away stabilizer product 
  • Peltex 72F Double-sided Fusible Ultra Firm Stabilizer
  • a scrap of white cotton fabric

First, you are going to iron your piece of white fabric to the rough side of your Peltex, and then peel off the clear film off the back.  Trim down your fabric covered Peltex to a 6"x8" rectangle and mark your center guidelines with a disappearing ink marker.  Just enough at the edge and a dot in the middle, so your can line up your needle.  This is important because you can't apply water to it later to remove the markings.  

Hoop your Sticky into your hoop, being careful that your hoop guidelines match up to the Sticky guidelines.  Then remove the top layer (or paper) to reveal the Sticky.  Then use your guidelines place the Peltex rectangle into your hoop.

Load into your machine and digitize your design.


Once your design is digitized remove from hoop, and cut away the excess Sticky from around the edges.  Do Not remove the Sticky from the back of the Peltex, just leave it attached.  It is best not to disturb, if possible. 


Next you are going to trim to a 5"x7" rectangle using your guidelines to keep your design centered.


Now it should fit perfectly into your frame.  Secure the back of your frame as needed.  

This project is a great for all those unused or thrifted frames you have lying around the house.  Also, I have used frames with the glass or without.  It is more of a personal preference, than a requirement


I love the way this project comes out. 
The Peltex stabilizer gives it just enough strength to make the design clean and crisp. 

14 comments:

  1. That came out really cute! I am visiting from Craft-O-Maniac and I am a new follower!!
    Hope you had a great weekend and that I will see you at my blog soon!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute picture! One day I'd love to have a machine that does embroidery!! Still at the dreaming stage now....

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute! I love it:)
    http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I know where you got your art...I love their designs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice picture

    Top quality frame machine at affordable prices

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! Thank you for the step by step guide....machine framed

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really happy to be visiting your blog. Thanks for the share.... Keep posting such an interesting information. Custom Expert Designers

    ReplyDelete
  10. hm.. I am reached here by searching for calibration details of embroidery machines ... think it is right place for it and this site should be an encyclopedia for the embroidery business.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so awesome that your beautiful quilt designs come as embroidery in the machines. How cool is that? I haven't gotten into machine embroidery yet. Will someday after my honeymoon stage with quilting is over. Not sure if that will happen any time soon ;).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greetings! Very helpful advice within this article! It is the little changes which will make the most important changes.

    ReplyDelete