I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

With a Twist - A Finished Quilt

As some of you may have guessed from my last post, I have finished my Doll Quilt.  I was very excited about being part of this swap.  I has been so much fun.  From stalking my partner on Flickr, putting pen to paper, making the quilt, and now putting together all those fun little extras.

When trying to design this quilt, I played around with a lot of different shapes but felt like, that’s been done or I have seem those a thousand times.  It wasn’t until my husband suggested right angle triangles, than things finally fell into place.  You don’t often see those, but the hardest had to be the math.  I had to make sure the doll quilt measured less than 18” and had at least 6 pieced blocks.  Sounds a little like algebra to me, don't you think!?  I knew some test blocks were in order, but where to start?  That is when I knew I had to pull out the paper cutter and start cutting out triangles. 


See Lighting McQueen over there in the corner?  Yeah, that means my little guy was "helping."  Sometimes I am amazed that I get anything done. 


So, there was more than one test block and a lot of trimming involved in the making of this quilt.  I had some trouble getting the rectangle points to line up properly.  But after some trial and error I finally got them right and couldn't be happier with the results.


Quilt Details:
Fabrics: Kona white, and some bright colored scraps from my stash
Finished Quilt Measurements: about 14" x 14" square
Blocks and Piecing: 4" blocks, in a 4 x 4 layout
Quilting: Echo quilting in a zig-zag pattern

Today, I am linking this up to Fabric Tuesday over at QuiltStory.
 

10 comments:

  1. I really like the braided look of this quilt and of course I am a sucker for all the bright scraps as well! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great design. And I love the fabric colors. It came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Great color and design combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice colors and a very cool design. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just stumbled on your blog and was so tickled at your comment - some algebra involved. :) I used to teach algebra about a hundred years ago and I always told my students, you never know when you're going to need this but you WILL need this! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love your design on this quilt! REally snazzy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt and what a neat design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your doll quilt. The colours and design are perfect. All those different fabrics go great together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute!! :D My helper sign is usually my fabric strewn all over the room ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh...I really loved reading how this came together! It is beautiful and I LOVE it...now hanging on my sewing wall. Thank you so much for such a cheerful creation!

    ReplyDelete