I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Glitter Composition Notebooks {a tutorial}

As you know it is Back to School time and as parents we are busy putting together all the things they will need to start off the new year.  This year one of the things that was on the recommended school supply list for my daughter was a composition notebook.  No problem, right?  This time of year Wal-mart or Target has them on sale for like 40 cents.  I can handle that....til you step into The Children's Place and your daughter sees them covered in glitter and retailing for $4.95.  Seriously!  I would never pay 5 bucks for something I can make for less than a dollar. 


This project knock off was ridiculously easy to do, and cheap.  I paid 40 cents for the notebook, 25 cents for the sponge brush, and the rest of the stuff I already had on hand from past projects.


Here is a little of what you will need.

The freezer paper is optional.  I used it because I can tape it to the counter and it gave me a larger workspace than regular paper.  If I had a leftover paper grocery bag I would have used that, but I didn't, so I used the freezer paper instead.  

The glitter I used had a fine texture and was leftover from another project.  I suppose any glitter will do, but I would recommend fine glitter, as coarse glitter might make the notebook too rough.


First, take your painters tape and carefully cover the black binding of your composition notebook.  Then place a piece of paper under the cover of your notebook to protect the pages of your notebook from the Mod Podge. 


Now add a healthy layer of Mod Podge with a sponge brush to the cover of your composition notebook.


Next add a healthy layer of glitter, shaking off the excess, repeating several times.  Once that is done, set it aside, and let it dry.  This can take anywhere from a couple of hours to overnight depending on how thick your Mod Podge was. 


Once it is dry, add another layer of Mod Podge.  This will help seal in the glitter and give the notebook a smoother texture.  Again, let that dry.  Once it is dry you can remove the blue tape. Then you are done.  If you want, you can repeat the process on the back cover.

Have fun with it.  We (my daughter and I) are already planning on making another one, but this time I am going to let her get some bling at the craft store to decorate her notebook.  This one won't be for school but for home, because like last year she will also need something for her writing homework.  A special notebook for this task worked wonders for us last year, so I am all over making her another one.  As they say you gotta start the year off right.  :) 

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think.  I will be linking this project to some of these linky parties.

 

16 comments:

  1. Love it. I am kind of jealous of all the kids going back to school. There were some really cool notebooks at Target that I wanted to buy for myself - but I wouldn't write in them, so it was a no go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. I started recovering these note books and this idea never occured to me. I am going to try it. My neice in college loved the ones I covered. One I took a cool page from "Free People" magazine and Mod Podged it along w/some scrap paper, embelishments and ribbon. I took 2 diff color blues a dark and lite one and white acrylic paint and dipped my brush in them and painted the back put a "how beautiful sticker" then covered it in Mod Podge...(can't remember the full sticker staying/ It gave it such a smooth finish. I gave it to her when we took a trip to Disney and stopped by my sisters house in orlando. Now I am stocking up on them so I can have fun changing the front and back covers! thanks for this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter would love for me to do that. She is so into all that girly stuff right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this idea! My daughter would love this. Thanks for linking up again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea - I think glitter makes anything look good!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your creative frugality - my kind of blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great way to have adorable school supplies on the cheap! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did a similar project with my girls. We covered ours with scrapbook paper.

    http://theorchardinbloom.blogspot.com/2011/08/040-or-249.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute idea! I might have to make a few for my twin nieces

    ReplyDelete
  10. 3 steps beyond cool
    I can hardly wait to try this

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute! You are so talented!

    I'd love for you to link up to our Crafts for Under Twenty Somethings party going on now. It's a blog hop specifically for kids and teens related "stuff", so your post would be perfect!

    Melanie
    http://bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com/2011/08/crafts-for-under-twenty-somethings_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun! We might have to try this when I unpack my craft stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great idea! My daughter would LOVE this! I am going to be upgrading all of our notebooks to glitter this year! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo party.. can't wait to see what you share next!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have so many of these for myself...forget back to school! I'd use these for my own writing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.