I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Old Fashion Rice Pudding


Last week I made rice pudding, a favorite at our house, unfortunately I don't make it that often, so when I do, it is kind of a treat for the kids.  Yesterday, the kids asked me to make it again.  The things I do for my kids.  *insert exhausted mom who slaves over a hot stove for her family*  Just kidding!  It's really not that bad, it is just that rice pudding is one of those recipes that takes a little time to be done right.  It is also one of those recipes that is best done the night before.  Score!  Something I can do after the kids go to bed and catch up on my Project Runway at the same time.

 This is my from my grandmother and I don't have a traditional recipe all written out.  It is one of those things that I just do, you know, from memory.


First, you are going to soak 1 cup rice in 2 cups milk for about 10 minutes.


Cook the rice slowly until milk is absorbed on medium heat, stirring consistently, for about 20 - 25 minutes.  You don't want the milk to come to a boil or your rice to stick to the bottom.  Remove from heat and place a cover on your pan to keep warm while you prepare next step.  At this point it should look a little like the picture above.


Next, in a small bowl beat 2 egg yolks (save the egg whites for later), 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of sugar, and 1/2 tsp of salt.  Slowly fold egg mixture into rice that is in your pan.  Return rice to stove on medium heat, and cook again till milk is dissolved and rice is tender, stirring consistently.  Make sure that the rice is cooked or you will end up with crunchy rice pudding and nobody is going to like that.


Remove rice from heat and set aside.  Then beat the 2 egg whites until stiff and slowly add 1 tbs sugar while beating.  Fold into rice.


Now add 1/2 tsp vanilla and cinnamon too taste into rice and mix well.


Pour into serving dish or individual cups, let cool, then cover with plastic wrap and place into refrigerator to cool overnight. 

 The next day serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon and enjoy.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I have never made it and have no desire to eat it either, but my husband has fond memories of rice pudding. I have not found a recipe that sounded like what he described, but this may be it.
    Also, love the blue star block you posted from the other day. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good. I've tried and tried to make my grandmother's. This seems close, so I'm going to try it. I miss her rice pudding- bread pudding too! & I Really miss her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmmm My husband Loves rice pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, do you stand at the stove stirring the rice for twenty minutes?!

    I've never had rice pudding, and now I know I want someone else to make it for me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was only thinking last night that I would love some rice pudding..I have just written this recipe out..thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh now this looks delicous! I've always wanted to try making rice pudding - so I'm going to try with your recipe! Does it matter what type of rice you use??

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh gosh! i have been looking for a recipe like this! Thank you for sharing! totally making this and linking back to you on my blog! :)

    itsjustcalledspicy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love rice pudding, thanks for sharing at Bacon Time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't care for it, but I remember my mom making it when I was a kid!!

    Hop'n by from 'Creative Me Monay Hop'. Sorry I am so very late, it has been a crazy week! Bu, I'm following your blog now, wont you please come and follow me back?? ~KM

    Krafty Max Originals

    ReplyDelete