I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Bright Hopes Block Tutorial

November is my month to have A Twist on Tradition Bee make me some blocks, and since I put the fabric in the mail this morning, I thought it would be a good idea to write up a quick tutorial.  That way there the girls will know what they are making.  The whole premise of A Twist on Tradition is to take a traditional block and give it a modern twist.  For my block I decided to modify the traditional Bright Hopes block by using bright solid fabrics accented by the Kona grey. 


This block is made by using the partial seam method.  It may look a bit confusing but I assure you it is quite easy to put together.  In the picture above is how I would like to have the blocks laid out.


Stitch your first seam, starting about halfway down from the center square.


Stitch your second seam by finger pressing your first seam to one side.  This will create a length that is equal to your next section. 

A quick note: I find the quickest and easiest way to piece this block is to press all the seams out from the center square to one side, instead of pressing all your seams open. 


You are going to sew the next two sections in the same way, working around the center square.


To complete this block place your needle where the partial seam ends, and sew the first section to the last section. 


Press your blocks open and remember not to trim.  I will take care of that when I receive the blocks back from you. 

Thank you for making these blocks for me.  It has been so much fun to be part of this bee.



8 comments:

  1. Fun! I can't believe you are the last month in the bee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great, simple blocks! The kona solids really stand up on their own. I need to make an all solids quilt one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pairing of brights and grey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a fun block! i love your use of the solids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the colors in these blocks! I think partial seams are kinda fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! That is a beautiful block! Thank you for showing! Wouldn't have thought this without you! I love that symmetric block - great alternative for 'so much used' log cabin.
    Thank you for your visit and comment!
    xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great color combination! Very bright! Thanks for sharing
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute. Can't wait to get the fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.