Thursday, October 13, 2011

iPod Touch Case {a tutorial}


Today, I am going to show you how I made a case to protect my iPod touch.  I needed something that was going to protect the touch screen of my iPod when I threw it into the pit that I call my handbag.  This is a very easy and inexpensive project to do.  Also, by changing the measurements you can adapt this project to other handheld devices that you own. 
  

To make yourself a iPod case you will need:
  • Peltex 72F Double-sided Fusible Ultra Firm Stabilizer
  • fabric
  • single fold bias tape
  • thread

Following manufactures directions I ironed my fabric on the back and on the front of my Peltex stabilizer.  For this project I am using some left over scraps I have of coordinating Hunky Dory by Chez Moi for Moda.  This might also be a good time to mention that if you are working with directional fabrics or large prints you might want to rough cut a much larger piece than you need so you will have plenty of room to fussy cut later.

The math is pretty easy.  To determine the size you are going to need the formula is length x width x height.  My iPod measures about 4 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 1/4".  Taking those measurements I cut 2 pieces of my fabric covered Peltex to about 5 1/4" x 3 1/4".  This will give me enough space for my 1/4" seam allowance and enough room for the case to expand once the iPod touch is inside.  Do you follow me so far? 


Once I have the Peltex cut to the size that I wanted, I  rounded the corners using a spool of thread and a marking pen.  This will give my case a more finished look and make it easier sew the bias tape around the edges.


Next I took a piece of bias tape that is slightly longer than the lenght around the peltex, so the ends overlapped slightly.  Then I sewed it on with a zig-zag stitch.


Then I marked 1 1/2" down from the top of my case.


With one piece of Peltex on top of another and a 1/4" seam allowance, I sewed from one pin all the way around stopping at the other pin, locking my stitched at the beginning and at the end.  Now I have a finished case for my iPod touch.


This sandwich might be too thick for some machines to sew through. If that is the case, you could also sew it together by hand using some embroidery floss. I used a button stitch on this one to give it a more finished look.

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think, or if you have any questions.
I will be linking this project to some of these great Linky Parties.

 

14 comments:

  1. I like it! Looks pretty quick and easy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the bias tape around the edges! Did you link up with Creative Me Monday? I'd love to have you join the party, it's open all week! Here's the link:

    http://www.thesoutherninstitute.com/2011/10/creative-me-monday_09.html?utm_source=BP_recent

    Hope to see you there!
    Jenny @ The Southern Institute

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really cute ipod touch case. Thank you for a great tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow so cute! i'm a new follower! i would love it if you could follow me!
    www.sewfantastic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool tute. I need one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so need to do something like that for my ipods I just in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I love how you made this - so simple and straightforward, and it looks lovely!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great idea!! It's so easy! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Great idea.

    Melissa
    http://redflycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this!! Would LOVE it if you would link this up at my turquoise lovin' party going on right now!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/10/turquoise-lovin-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautifully made little case! Love the fabric, the binding and the way you finished it with the embroidery floss. Visiting by way of the party at The Southern Institute.

    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  12. These turned out super cute! Thanks for posting!
    Stephanie @ Ladywiththeredrocker.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a cute IPod Case! thanks for sharing this with us. have a lovely weekend!


    ^^)Lelanie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome idea, I will try this for my iPhone :)

    ReplyDelete