I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Quilt fail?

Well maybe, depends on how you look at things.  I finished my faux string quilt last weekend, but it didn't turn out exactly like I had planned.  I am slightly upset about it, but I have to remind myself that from the beginning it was in experiment in many ways.  You can read more about that here.  


First, let's talk about the seams, because I didn't use batting and decided to quilt directly to the minky, you can see all the seams and even see what direction they are ironed in.  Had I used all printed fabrics this would not have been a problem but because I used off white (kona snow) it was just shear enough that the blue from the minky showed through.  This by far is my biggest aggravation with this quilt.   


Here are some of the things I did like about using the minky.

1. When you layer your quilt top on the minky it kind of sticks together.  So shifting was not a problem.
2. Machine quilting it was a breeze, and because there is no batting the quilting does not have to be as tight.
3. I love the weight of this quilt! It was everything I thought it would be, soft, snugly, and warm, though I don't think some of my northern friends would agree. For them it might be more a summer throw on a cool night, but here in Florida it is perfect!


The last thing I have to say about the quilting is that even though it showed up perfectly on the minky side, you can't quite see it on the front.  I think next time (and yes there will be a next time) I will keep it simple and just stitch in the ditch, and just use darker fabrics. 


I learned a lot making this quilt, and I will use these things and go forward, because after all isn't that what it is all about?  Lastly, I will enjoy and love this quilt with all its imperfections.

Quilt Details:
Fabrics: Quilt top, Kona Snow and Chocolate, by Robert Kaufman, backing, minky 
Finished Quilt Measurements: about 54" x 68"
Blocks and Piecing: 6 1/2" squares & 6 1/2" HST, in a 10 x 12 layout
Quilting: Echo quilting in a zig-zag pattern
I am linking this up to Fabric Tuesday over at QuiltStory.


8 comments:

  1. I don't think it's a fail if you learned a lot and I also think it turned out cool. I really like your layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quilt! The design is really beautiful! I guess you could have used muslin to line it, but if it's for you and the family, no biggie! Plus that much muslin would have cost money! I bet the minke is super great to snuggle up under!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great! Thanks for the Minkee tips. I'm about to back a quilt with it for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm Nicole from Romanian Princess! I LOVE your blog. I'm your newest follower! If you'd like, come check out my blog, and if you like it, I LOVE followers! Thanks so much!

    www.romanianprincess.com

    XoXo Nicole Mariana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! I love it! My daughter loves the quilts I makes her with the minky! And I love to snuggle with her with them! Great job!
    As a fellow sewer, I wanted to also invite you to see my Halloween Quilt. I am super proud of it. I would also love to pick your brain about some quilting techniques if you ever have the time to talk at me about that kind of stuff.
    Anyways... Again, great job!
    AllieMakes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pretty colors! The turquoise is beautiful! And I'm learning! Thanks for sharing your techniques! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your quilt turned out great :)

    Do you think maybe another solid layer of the kona snow between your top and the minkee would have helped with the seams showing? It would keep it pretty light weight, but I'm not sure what it would do for machine quilting. I usually quilt by hand...

    I miss quilting. I have been helping my 81 yr old grandmother and her friends at their quilting bees, but haven't pieced one of my own in ages!

    firsthousediary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.