I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Machine Embroidery – A Personalized Minky Pillowcase

012

Last week I had a birthday party for a sweet little boy who is just turned 3.  His mother, my friend loves and appreciates gifts that are made by hand and that are personalized, but it is hard to get creative when it comes to boys.  So, I hit the internet for some inspiration and came across this tutorial from Sweet Peas and Bumblebees.  Perfect!  Something that he probably doesn’t have, it can be personalized, and can be paired with other bedtime goodies. 

To embroider on Minky can be kind of tricky, so I thought I would take a minute and share how I did mine. 

To make this pillowcase, you will need:

  • 5/8 Yard Minky Fabric
  • 1/4 Yard Minky Fabric For Cuff
  • Cut-away stabilizer
  • Water Soluble stabilizer

004

Remember you have to embroider the cuff before you construct your pillowcase.  Like in the tutorial above I cut my fabric that I am using for my cuff to 9” X 40” and made my markings, with pins for embroidery placement.  This was the tricky part because I didn’t want to use a marking pen in fear that it would ruin the fur.  Thankfully the recipient of this gift has a short name so I have a little wiggle room, but I have to at least get it so it is straight along the bottom edge, and somewhat centered in the front cuff. 

I ironed my cut-away stabilizer to the back of my Minky per manufactures direction, and placed a piece of water soluble stabilizer on the top.  For this project the cut-away stabilizer is a must because you don’t want your letters to shift or distort, and the water soluble stabilizer on the top will keep the plush from coming through your design.

006

After I peeled away the water soluble stabilizer from the top and cut away the stabilizer from the back, one of the first things that I was afraid of was that the Minky would get hoop burned.  You know that permanent stretch of a knit once it comes out of the hoop.  As you can see that didn’t happen and you can see that I cut the cut-away stabilizer pretty tight, but the letters still should be fine.

009

Now, I am ready to put together my pillow. 

Thanks for stopping by my blog and all your continued support.  Leave me a comment and let me know what you think, or if you have any questions.  I will be linking this project to some of these great Linky Parties.

7 comments:

  1. I never thought of using minky. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat present for a little boy!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is beautiful, the contrast of textures is lovely I'd love it if you would add this to my link party at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/2011/11/what-i-wore-wednesdays-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great pillow, and the little boy (my son!), loves it!!!! At first he put his feet in it and pretended that it was his new sleeping bag; but then when I showed him how a pillow went inside, he was so excited about his new, soft pillowcase. Of-course he can't yet appreciate the thrill of personalization, but I sure can. :-) Thank you Ann for a beautiful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work, and thank you for teaching me how to do, loved it!
    Fabric Warehouse

    ReplyDelete