I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Monday, November 14, 2011

Tuft a Pillow {a tutorial}

029

After I posted my tutorial for The Big Chunk Pincushion, a couple of you asked, about the tufting?  Tufting is when you make a depression or decorate something at regular intervals, by passing a thread through a cushion or pillow.  This can be done by using knots or in this case, using buttons.  Almost any pillow can be tufted by using a variety of different threads, needles and buttons.  This is a great sewing basic to know.

010

To tuft this simple box shaped pincushion you will need a long needle, 2 buttons, and some embroidery floss.

013

X marks the spot.  One of the reasons I quilted this x on my pincushion was because, I wanted to make sure to sew my buttons on correctly, and now I know where the center is on both sides of my pincushion.

Insert your needle just shy of the direct center of your x and pull through the pincushion to the other side, coming out just shy of the center on that side too. 

017

String on your button, and insert your needle on the other side of your x, and pull through to the other side.

018

Once on the other side, pull and tie your treads tight to make a depression in the pincushion.

019

Then string on your other button and knot tightly.

020

Cut the excess treads off, and your all done.  A pincushion tufted with 2 buttons.

If you would like to see my original tutorial on how to make this pincushion you can find it here.  Also, I will be linking up this tutorial to some of these great linky parties.  Go check them out.  You never know what you are going to find.

Have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. I have wanted to make a pillow like this, never knew how. Thanks for the tutorial!

    Lexi
    http://cupcakedaydreamer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute fabric. I totally understand doing the x on the pillow. I have a hard time getting things centered, and hate having things off kilter.
    ~Kimberlee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great little tutorial!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I found your blog now an avid follower! Fi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, the little cushion is so cute, very pretty. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so helpful! I am new to sewing and this is great. Thanks!
    Meredith From A Mother Seeking Come find me on my blog, A Mother Seeking...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.