Friday, December 2, 2011

Drunkards Path Quilt-A-Long {A Finished Quilt}

I can’t believe I am finally finished with this quilt, and in time to link it up with others.  I made this quilt as part of Kate from Needle and Spatula, and Kristie from OCD, Drunkards Path Quilt-A-Long.   I think I am going to call this quilt The Happy Drunk.

004

I don’t normally join QAL’s because with 3 kids my time is limited and I never can seem to finish them in the allotted time, but this one spoke to me.  It looked like a great skill builder with the curved piecing.  I followed Needle and Spatulas great directions and the blocks came together effortlessly.  Thankfully, because I was a bit nervous about this one.  Curves are definitely outside of my comfort zone.

006

  For the quilting I echoed the rows inside and out, with a variegated rainbow tread.  This to was outside my comfort zone.  Normally, I would have just used a white thread and called it a day.   

012

  Once I decided to use the variegated rainbow thread I knew I had to back this quilt in white, to get the full effect.  I also added some improv pieced blocks to the back, that I made using the leftover scraps.  I think I like the way the back came out just as much as the front.

010

Quilt Details:

Fabrics: Kona White, Micheal Miller, Robert Kaufman, Heidi Grace and various other scraps I have collected the years.

Finished Quilt Measurements: 60" x 75"

Block and Piecing: Drunkards Path block, in a Scalloped layout

Quilting: Free Motion Quilting, echoing the rows inside and out, with some straight line quilting around the edge, using a variegated rainbow thread made by Superior.

Be sure to check out the other great Drunkards Path Quilts over at Needle and Spatula.

16 comments:

  1. That is really beautiful! From the color selection to the quilting (which had to have taken quite some time!) You should be really proud of that finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous!!! I am so envious of you quilting skills ;) Great finish! Smiles~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. This came out gorgeous! The back is outstanding as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the back as much as the front, too. Great quilting, design, fabrics, love it all :) Thanks so much for joining Kate and me for the QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous! Your echo quilting is so precise and the back is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt! I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like a good happy drunk. I've never wanted to do this quilt before, buy you may convince me otherwise. And I love it when the back of the quilt could easily be considered the front.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I love how this quilt came out! I have yet to try a drunkard's path and you've really inspired me to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful, both front and back! I love the scalloped layout, and your fabric choice is impeccable! I've been enjoying your blog for quite awhile though I'm not sure that I've commented, so let me thank younow for doing such a nice job on it - lots of great inspiration! I think I'm finally going to try your rice pudding recipe this weekend too - I'm pretty excited about it, I have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your new quilt is wonderful but the name is awesome! Congratulations on the finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning! The quilting is especially impressive... I haven't figured out how I will quilt mine yet, and I agree that following the curves seems challenging! Thanks so much for joining the QAL, I am glad that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh this is incredible! I love the quilting and it looks stunning front and back :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So incredibly beautiful. I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This quilt is amazing. The back is so beautiful, it could be a separate quilt on its own. Did you mark the white borders before you quilted them or just eye ball it

    ReplyDelete