I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

For David–A Finished Quilt

This quilt is for David, my oldest child.  As you know I have a thing for memory quilts and can finally check another child off my list.  Last year I made one for my youngest and because they shared a lot of the same baby clothes I couldn’t start on this one till that one was done.  I am really happy with how it came out, and of course, it makes me kind of sad too.  My baby is not a baby anymore, he is almost 12.  It is amazing how the quickly the time goes by.  I can vividly remember him in most of these outfits and find it hard to believe he was ever that small.

002 

This quilt measures about 50” by 70” and the front is pieced with using a modified 9-patch block to accommodate the clothing.  All the knit fabrics were backed using Pellon Shape Flex Fusible Interfacing, a must for these types of quilts.  For the back I used denim.  Not my first choice for backing but it really does suits the front.  Besides I found a really nice light weight piece at Jo Ann’s so it really isn’t to bad.  Also, I did some straight line quilting in off white so it would stand out on the plain backing. 

006 

Now, of course with another memory quilt done that means it is time to start the next one.  This time I will be making one for my daughter.  I have pulled out all her little dresses that my mother made her when she was a toddler.  Thankfully they are all made of cotton so this one should be an easier one to put together.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and all your continued support. Leave me a comment and let me know what you think. I will be linking this project to some of these great Linky Parties.

12 comments:

  1. Love the quilt and the denim works really well. Unfortunately (sigh), I'd never thought of saving any of my (now grown up) babies' clothing for quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it's beautiful and what a terrific idea! I didn't save my children's baby clothes, well, only a few. I have saved their jeans though b/c I'm planning to make a demim quilt for them. I like the demin you used for the backing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plan on making these too...one day! I love this idea, this turned out fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I especially love your choice of fabrics for the bordering material. Great memory quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very lovely quilt. Great job. Happy you linked to Things I've Done Thursday this week.
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish, wish, wish I had my mother-in-law make me a baby clothes quilt when my boys were little!! This one of your turned out so sweet. Love how the colors coordinate beautifully! Would be delighted for you to link up to Mop It Up Mondays: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/02/mop-it-up-mondays-party-2.html

    {HUGS},
    kristi
    your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderful memory quilt for your son. nice work!! i saved clothes from my daughter....they are waiting until i have time to tackle them.

    thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous quilt! You are so talented. Thank you for linking up last week to Sew Woodsy! Your quilt was chosen as the Reader's Choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty quilt, I know your son must love it. Love the fact that you use there baby clothes, but a great memory piece for years and years to come. I've only made one quilt and now I made more quilt wall pieces. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Par.tay! PS - now following you on GFC.

    ReplyDelete