I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Modern Triangles QAL {Piecing the Back}

This week we are going to piece the back and sandwich our quilt to get it ready for quilting. 

So, now we that have a completed quilt top we need to take some measurements and get started on out back.  My quilt top measures about 34” by 38” and depending how you have laid out your quilt top yours should be about the same. 

016

If you don’t want to piece the back, that is fine, this quilt will take a piece of fabric about a yard and a quarter.  You can use that for your backing and move on to sandwiching. 

I love to piece my quilt backs because it give me the chance to think outside the box and experiment with some improv piecing.  I look at it as a challenge to use up some of my unused quilt blocks from the front or the leftover scraps.  Take your time and audition a few options.  There is no right or wrong way, just do what feels right. 

Above, I took the opportunity to use up my leftover triangle units and the fabric I had left over from my fat quarters.  All I added was a yard of Kona Snow.  I am using that to “float” my triangles and to boarder the top and bottom.  The rest I will use for my binding.

006

To float my triangles, I first cut 2 – 6 1/2 strips (or the height of your triangle units) of Kona Snow. Then I cut 4 triangles using my template, and I sewed them together with my 6 leftover triangle units, as shown above.  Then I used what was leftover from that strip to finish off the row, off centering them a bit.  Then I added a 1 1/2” strip of the Kona Snow to the top and bottom of that row to float them.

Next, I cut the leftover fat quarters into 2” strips, then in half again.  I was left with an assortment of 2” by 9” strips.  I pieced them together in 2 rows of 24.  One I placed in the center of the 2 triangle rows, the other one I cut in half the long way and placed one on top and the other on the bottom of the triangle rows.  Then I added 2 - 3” strip of my Kona Snow, one the top and one bottom.

This is a little different than the picture above, sorry I keep changing my mind, then the lighting got really bad for pictures.  So here is a quick rundown of the order….

  • 3” strip of snow
  • 4 1/2” strip of the assorted 24 – 2” fat quarters pieces
  • 1 1/2” strip of snow
  • 6 1/2” strip of snow with triangles units
  • 1 1/2” strip of snow
  • 9” strip of the assorted 24 – 2” fat quarters pieces
  • 1 1/2” strip of snow
  • 6 1/2” strip of snow with triangles units
  • 1 1/2” strip of snow
  • 4 1/2” strip of the assorted 24 – 2” fat quarters pieces
  • 3” strip of snow

020

Now you are ready to sandwich your quilt.  I like to use a 100% cotton batting or a 80/20 cotton poly blend depending on my project.  For this quilt I am using a piece of Warm & White that is a 100% cotton, that I had leftover from a previous project.

Sandwiching a small project like this is much easier than a larger quilt and can be done on the table.  First I will iron my quilt back with a little starch and lay it flat, wrong side up, on the table.  Then I will lay my batting on top of that.  Lastly, I will iron my quilt top, again with a little starch and lay it on top of the batting, right side up.  Smooth it all out making sure you have no bubbles and pin all three layers together with safety pins.

Now we will be ready to machine quilt our sandwich next week.  So, join us again for your Machine Quilting Options and Bindings.  If you have any question or concerns about this Quilt Along, please let me know.

Also, don’t forget to check our blog roll on the side bar. Keep up to date with the other bloggers involved in this quilt a long. Want to be added?  Just leave a comment below and add the Modern Triangles QAL button to your blog.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.