I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Building Blocks with Friends–Pineapple Blossoms

Welcome to another edition of Building Blocks with Friends.  If you are not familiar with Building Blocks with Friends it is a new series that I have started here on A Girl in Paradise to help promote Modern Quilting and the talented Quilt Bloggers that take the time to share not only the quilts they create but the process.  It is just my way of giving back to this awesome online community that has taught me so much.  It just goes to show you that even as a seasoned quilter there is still so much to learn.  If you are interested in contributing just leave a comment below or contact me here.     

022

This week I thought I would share the block I am working on for my next quilt.  My block, Pineapple Blossoms is a play off the traditional Pineapple block.  Pineapple blocks belong to the log cabin family the only difference being is that there are 8 logs that go around the center square instead of 4 and it is traditionally pieced on a foundation.  There is many variations to the pineapple block, but I decided to step out of the box a little and change things up a bit.  I changed the traditional square to a rectangle, and I gave my pineapple a more scrappy look instead of accenting it with a solid or lighter fabrics.  I did leave the solid corners to give the blocks a focal point when they are joined.   

019

OK, let’s get started.  First you will need to print out a template here.  You can either trace it onto muslin, foundation paper, or just use regular copy paper like I have done here in this tutorial.  If you choose to use paper just remember to shorten your stitch length so the paper will be easily removed later.  And unlike traditional paper piecing you will be sewing on top of the paper instead on the back.

You will need to cut some 1 1/2” strips from your printed fabric and 2” strips from your white fabric.  For a scrappy look I recommend that you use a variety of different fabrics.  I have about 16 different fabrics that I am using in this tutorial.  For those of you that are trying to figure out yardage for larger projects, 16 strips that were 1 1/2” by 22” (the length of a fat quarter) made about 2 1/2 blocks.  You will also need 4 – 2” by 4 1/2” rectangles of the white for each block.

Measure your center rectangle and pin a piece of fabric that size within the guidelines.  For this template it measures about 1 1/2” by 2”.   

020

To determine the length of your strips each time you go around the center, cut your strips slightly larger than you think that you will need.  Remembering that since this is a rectangle and not a square sometimes when you make a round you will have 2 that are shorter and 2 that are longer. 

021

Use your 1/4” foot and sew your strips to the center on all 4 sides, finger pressing open before adding the next.

022

Once you have sewn on all 4 strips and they are pressed opened, fold back your paper and trim to a 1/4”. 

024

Add your next row.  Determine the strip size as you did before, cutting the fabric slightly larger than you think you will need.  As you make these blocks it will be easier and easier to determine the strip length. 

033

You will also notice that when I sewed these strips on I did not sew from the beginning to end of each strip.  I started my stitches roughly where my “log” began and where it ended.  I placed a ruler here in the picture above so you could get a better understanding of what I mean.

035

You will want to be cautious of where your stitches begin and where they end because when you fold your paper back to trim these stitches can get in the way.  If they do just keep a seam ripper handy and undo a stitch or two so your paper will fold back nicely.

037

Keep adding your “logs” all the way around till you get to last 4 corners.

039

The 2” strips you cut from the white will be used here.

041

Press open your blocks and trim away the excess.

042

The picture above is what a completed block will look like, and the picture below is what your blocks will look like once they are joined together.

044

I hope you have enjoyed making this block with me.  Don’t forget to join us again next week for another edition of Building Blocks with Friends.

Edited to Add: Here is a picture of the completed quilt.  You can read more about this quilt here.

015

Thanks for stopping by, and have a great week!

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE the pineapple! You can do so much with it just by changing fabric layouts! Awesome choice for Soul Blossoms :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there!! I just added myself to your followers for support, and wanted to invite you to check out an awesome Modcloth giveaway I'm having!

    Hope to see you there! Thanks so much!
    Emily

    http://emilymmeyers.blogspot.com/2012/05/giveaway-time-again.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat block and fabrics! Thanks for sharing your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful - so nice to see how you build it up! Quilting is on my long list to try one day!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the blocks. Paper piecing is so great for getting everything perfectly accurate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks awesome! So glad that you shared. Thanks for helping make Things I've Done Thursday a success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh la la. How fabulous are those fabrics? love them. I am infatuated with this modern take on quilting. Thanks for sharing this week on BeColorful
    pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. My golly, that is a detailed quilt pattern; lots of patience required! Thank you for linking it up at our link party: http://www.finecraftguild.com/party/
    As always, I love your ideas!
    A brand new party will open today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I gave this a try..it is a beautiful paper piecing pattern but not sure I have the patience to make a quilt out of this. Thank you for sharing with us..and the great tutorial. I really had to think about sewing on the front of the paper...LOL but it turned out pretty good considering I have only done basic paper piecing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.