Monday, June 25, 2012

Building Blocks with Friends–Star Crossed Lovers Block

Last year I was asked to make some Lemoyne Star blocks for the quilt bee that I was a part of and I was fascinated at the fact that this block was pieced using HST.  I had made this block for a quilt years ago using diamond shaped templates and set in seams, which is not hard to do, but it definitely takes more time. 

Anyways, fast forward some time and waiting for just the right project… I had this idea of deconstructing the HST’s Lemoyne Star a bit and rearranging it.  You know shaking the quilt tree a little and seeing what falls out.  Then I saw that June was a pillow swap in my Bee a {modern} Swapper Flickr group.  I was very excited, but when I received the info on my partners likes and dislikes, I just knew this was a perfect opportunity to put my plan into action. 

009

Before we get started I wanted to let you know that this tutorial is for a miniature block and it is about 6 1/2” unfinished.  I made 9 of these blocks to make this pillow.  If you want you can enlarge your HST’s to make this a larger block.  If you are not good at the quilt math for this just let me know I can help you with that.

Also, when picking out your fabrics keep in mind that is you want this block to really pop consider using fabrics that are shades of light and dark or prints and solids.

Let’s get started.

Cut:

4 – 2 1/2” lt. grey squares

4 – 2 1/2” dark grey squares

4 – 2 1/2” aqua squares

4 – 2” white squares

Pair:

2 - lt. grey squares and 2 - dark grey squares

2 – lt. grey squares and 2 - aqua squares

2 - dark grey squares and 2 - aqua squares

Sew your pairs into HST’s. 

You should end up with:

4 – lt grey and dark grey HST’s

4 – lt grey and aqua HST’s

4 – dark grey and aqua HST’s

Then press open and trim to a 2” square.

HST PicMonkey Collage

For those of you who have never made HST’s before here are some quick instructions.

Step 1 – Pair 2 squares right side together.

Step 2 – With a light pencil or marking pen draw a line diagonally down the center on one of the squares.  Then sew a 1/4” seam on each side of that diagonal line.

Step 3 – Cut in half along the center diagonal line

Step 4 – Press open and trim.

HST layout

Constructing this block is done in segments.  You need to make 4 of the above segments for each block.  I like to sew the top 2 squares together, then the bottom 2 squares together.  Next, I go the the ironing board and press those seams open.  Then matching my center seam I sew the top 2 squares to the bottom 2 squares.  As pictured above.

020

Once your segments are put together we can now make our block.  Using the layout above I sewed together my 4 segments together similarly.  First sewing the top 2 and bottom 2 together, pressing, then sewing the top to the bottom.  All the while being mindful to match all my seams as I go along. 

Now you have yourself a completes block.  You can use this block for many of your smaller projects including pillows, miniature quilts, and table runners.  Remember you can rearrange your segments, as I have done below, and you can create a Lemoyne Star or something completely new.  Enjoy!

HST Options PicMonkey Collage

I will be linking this block up to Sew Modern Monday, Fabric Tuesday, and some of these other great linky parties.

Thanks for stopping by, and remember if you have a block you want to share, let me know.  I am always taking submissions for Building Blocks with Friends.  There is more info here as well as some other great block tutorials.

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter

29 comments:

  1. Very cute pillow! Thanks for the tuturial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh. great tutorial, so impressed with the pillow! it pops so great! i'm going to have to try this pattern out, it's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm seriously impressed. At first I thought it was a fabric pattern ... but to see how you created this by yourself is truly amazing!

    Thanks for sharing your talent and inspiring us!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. This pattern and tutorial are great! I love the colors you chose. It's just so dimensional. I'm sure your partner will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun quilt block! thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome - thanks for the tutorial to make this!! Stopping in from Canoe Ridge linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really pretty I love the colors very mod.....visiting you via Kurtz corner party : )
    Deana @ CountryMommaCooks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors and movement!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic pillow! Thanks for the tute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great. I'd love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tute. I love this and onto my future projects list it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great tutorial for those of us who are somewhat quilting impaired! Thanks! I'm a new GFC follower and I’d love for you to share this on Tuesday’s Tidbits at Naptime Delights: http://naptimedelights.blogspot.ca/2012/06/tuesdays-tidbits-6.html

    Thanks!
    Sarah
    {http://www.naptimedelights.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  13. This block is seriously awesome. I love it and have bookmarked your tutorial for future use. I NEVER would have guessed that this was made from HSTs, in fact at first glance I thought maybe it was english paper pieced!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial and I really love that pillow - great pattern and fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning! Thanks for sharing this tutorial - I've pinned this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is just fabulous! What a lucky recipient in the pillow swap!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a very nice pillow :)
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful pillow and great tutorial! Thanks for sharing.
    Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! Too cute. I hope you link up to Wild West Thursday. Hope to see you there.
    http://www.thegirlinthewildwest.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a beautiful block and I love the colors you choose :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fabulous pillow. The colours you've chosen are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your design is beautiful. Stopping by to say Hi from the blog hop. Come visit sometime, tea is cold and no shoes are required. Kathy B. http://www.southernmadeintheshade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really love this - such a stunning design!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great tutorial. Thank you.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this block and want to make my son a twin sized quilt using it. I would love for you to suggest a block size- not sure I have the endurance to make enough 6.5" blocks for a twin quilt.
    Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete