I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Pineapple Blossoms Quilt

Over the weekend, I finished up my Pineapple Blossoms quilt and thankfully the sun finally came out so I could take some pictures.  I am very happy with how this quilt came out and that I have it finished in more than enough time for my trip up north this summer.   We will be traveling to Chicago to visit my brother-in-law and his wife and I thought a quilt would make a nice gift to bring with us.  I have been wanting to make them a quilt for a while now, but never found the right fabrics, till now.  I think this quilt and fabrics will suit them perfectly. 


It was really fun to take this traditional pineapple block and update it with a new look and some fabulous fabrics.  Traditionally pineapple blocks are square and accented with solid or lighter fabrics within the block, but I thought it would be fun to change things up a bit.  I redesigned it into a rectangle and pieced it with random strips to give it a scrappy look.

To make this quilt I used approximately 14 fat quarters and 1 1/2 yards of kona white for the corners, sashing, and a strip for the back.  Then an additional 2 yards for the backing and 1/2 a yard for the binding.  If you are interested in making one for yourself the tutorial for this block can be found here.


I loved working with Amy Butlers Soul Blossom collection and how when I cut the large scale prints into skinny strips it gave the fabric and blocks a whole new look.

When quilting this I just simply free motioned some wavy lines vertically throughout the quilt.  I wanted to give the quilt a softer more cozier feel since the blocks are very angular.  I was really inspired by the fabric I used for the back.  I even remembered to sign and date my quilt which is something I usually forget and have to add after the fact.


Quilt Details:

Finished Quilt Measurements: 47" x 58"

Fabrics: Amy Butler’s Soul Blossom collection

Block and Piecing: 25 paper pieced rectangle pineapple blocks, in a 5 x 5 layout

Quilting: Free motioned vertical wavy lines 

I will be linking this up to Sew Modern Monday, Fabric Tuesday, and some of these other great linky parties.

Thanks for stopping by, and have a great week!

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter


  1. Quilt looks gorgeous and I love how the wavy lines gives it texture :)

  2. Oh wow! This is super beautiful! I've done a few quilts in Soul Blossoms.....a favorite fabric line!

  3. very nice Ann!! I love the wavy line quilting.

  4. Your quilt came out gorgeous! Love the colors!

  5. I love it! Great modern take on a traditional classic. And I love the quilting too!

  6. I like the wavy line quilting. Good job!

  7. Beautiful quilt and love the quilting you did on it! Thanks for sharing!
    Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

  8. What a neat quilt! And I love the way you quilted it. Lovely!

  9. Great Quilt, I love the colours amd the quilting and I will definitely try the pineapple block! Thanks for sharing!

  10. That's gorgeous!! They're LOVE it, and in Chicago, it'll get used a great deal come this fall!

  11. What a beautiful gift to take! Love me some Amy Butler! I've made a purse, a robe and a quilt top, so far, using Soul Blossoms!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.