I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Work in Progress Wednesday

Progress?  Well maybe a little.  My husband came home last week after being gone for work for the last couple of months.  After being gone for so long there are so many things that need his attention and so many things that I need to catch him up on.  Then, if you have been following the news at all you might have heard about this little storm named Debby that is taking her sweet time moving across the state of Florida.  We have been under her control since Sunday only going out when absolutely necessary.  The flooding has been our main problem and since the main intersection in my neighborhood is still under water we aren’t getting to far.  

photo

Before all this awful weather hit I was able to get out to the first meeting of the Tampa Modern Quilt Guild.  I know, very exciting.  Finally some quilters with common interests.  There were not a whole lot of people in attendance but I think that had a lot to do with the weather, (Debby had already started to dump a little rain on us), but I did get to meet Katie from Katie’s Quilting Corner and reconnect with Elizabeth from Don’t Call Me Betsy.  We had a great time sharing our projects and talking about the direction of the chapter. 

008

At least Debby is giving me a little time to sew.  I finished my Pillow for the Bee a {modern} Swapper pillow swap. I was very happy to be able to try something new and meet the likes and dislikes of my partner.  I hope she is as happy with this pillow as I am.  You can read more about this pillow here.

003

I am also happy to report that I finally finished the quilt top for my Apple Core Quilt.  For those of you who have been following my blog for a while you know that I have been working on this quilt FOREVER.  Little by little and completely by hand.  Now I have to iron this bad boy which I think will be a project within itself.  Then I can sandwich it and start quilting it by hand.  I know, to some, it may seem a bit foolish to make a entire quilt by hand, but it is one of those thing on my quilty bucket list that I wish to accomplish or learn.  Do you have a quilty bucket list?  If so, what are some of the things you wish to check off your list?

I will be linking this up to Freshly Pieced and her weekly Work in Progress Wednesday link-up. There you will find other talented quilters and hear all about what they have going on.

Thanks for stopping by, and have a great week!

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter

21 comments:

  1. Love the pillow! Fabulous colours and quilting!

    Hope the flooding eases for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely covet that pillow! Beautiful job!

    Hope Debby makes a quick departure, and that you're enjoying some much-needed time with hubby.

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay safe! We were vacationing at Orange Beach, AL and flew into Pensacola just last week. Our timing was perfect as we arrived after the last storm and left before this storm! I feel for everyone experiencing troubles...hope that storm moves on out quickly... Love your pillow. The colors are perfect for the design. They really show off the design very well! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pillow! Can you send some of that rain up to IN? We could totally use it right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a beautiful pillow - great pattern, colors and quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pillow and I hope that Debby moves on soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, that's a whole lot of rain! I grew up in Louisiana, and often think how different my childhood was from my own kids, who have grown up mostly in the dry West. They've never seen that much water! My husband travels a lot too, but usually not more than 2-3 weeks gone at one time, but I know it's so hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness, you've got some rain! I absolutely CAN NOT WAIT to see your apple core quilt. I've got a small hand pieced one ready to quilt. Like you, I did it just to be able to cross it off my list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish you could send all the water here to Colorado to put out these fires!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colors you used on your pillow! Beautiful :)

    Sewitlikeyoumeanit.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pillow is great. I love that pattern. I just started doing some handwork on a hexagon quilt. It then occurred to me that if I hand piece the whole thing then I oughta just bite the bullet and hand quilt it too. Both would be firsts for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's lovely to have a "slow quilting" project on the go - I love the apple core. So great that you got to meet up with some quilters in person. Stay safe and as dry as possible, darn that Debby!

    Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday and have a safe week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope all goes well there Ann with that flooding. We're getting too much rain, but nothing like that....take care. I simply love that pillow....gorgeous!! And can't wait to see the apple core quilt finished...it will be fantastic!! So much work doing it all by hand.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope things clear up soon for you guys.
    Love the pillow.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pillow turned out fabulous!

    I was glad we got some sunshine today finally. Hopefully the flooding goes down near your house soon. It was really fun meeting you on Saturday! Looking forward to the first sit and sew.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE the apple core! that looks fantastic. and yikes on the flooding!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pillow!! Thank you very much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  18. the apple core quilt is magnificent- I do love apple core and have often wished for a go cutter so that I could cut up apple core blocks. I have often wondered if one could sew one together by machine... Hmmm maybe some day- Congratulations on finishing one by hand - that is a wonderful accomplishment. Thanks for sharing your lovely work..
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on completing the apple core quilt, it sure looks like a lot of work! I LOVE that pillow you completed, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Ann - I was wondering what the dimensions of your apple core blocks were and the total size/layout of the quilt. I am working on one and I am just cutting out all the shapes. I am thinking about doing 300 as well and I was trying to figure out how big that would make it. Love your BaMS pillow too!

    ReplyDelete