I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Magnetic Pin Holder

I think I first saw this tutorial on Sawdust and Paper Scraps and have seen a few more tutorials since, but today I just wanted to share the pin holder I made for a friend and to address a couple of the issues I had when making my own magnetic pin holder.

018

First, the dish.  You can pretty much use any small decorative dish that you want, I found mine at a local thrift shop.  Just keep in mind that you don’t want the base of your dish to be to heavy or thick.  The magnet has to “attract” through the porcelain and you wouldn’t want the dish to impede the strength of the magnets.

Second, there are the magnets.  Most heavy duty magnets that you can buy at your local hardware store will do but if they are taller than the ridge on the bottom of your dish you might want to consider using neodymium magnetic buttons as another option.  Neodymium magnetic buttons are much thinner and just as strong, you may just need to use a few of these to get the job done.  I am using a heavy duty magnet I found at the bottom of my husbands tool box.  I am not quite sure why it is glued to a piece of metal, but it will get the job done, so I am using it.

Third, was finishing the bottom.  I was not content on gluing a magnet to the bottom of my dish and leaving it unfinished.  This is a gift after all and I wanted to have a more finished look.  In the original tutorial on Sawdust and Paper Scraps she used a candle holder to finish her bottom and made it into a pedestal.  I really like this idea but it only works with certain types of dishes and my dish was not one of them.  Also, I am afraid that an unfinished bottom would possibly scratch wood surfaces and this gift is for the top of a dresser to hold miscellaneous safety pins and such.  To fix this problem I used cork.  Cork can be bought at most craft stores and comes in different shapes, sizes and by the roll.  I am sure that there is a piece of cork out there to fit the needs of every dish.  I already have some cork by the roll so I will be using that.

020

To put together one of these magnetic pin holders it was very easy.  You will need a porcelain dish, E-6000 glue, magnets, and some cork.

023

After washing and thoroughly drying your dish, glue your magnet to the bottom of your dish, making sure you are gluing the magnet in the right direction.  You want to attach the pins not push them away. 

025

Then cut a piece cork to fit the bottom of your dish. Glue the cork to the bottom of your dish sandwiching the magnets in between the dish and the cork.

026

See doesn’t it look pretty now?   I hope you liked my magnetic pin holder and are inspired to make one of your own.  I will be linking this project to some of these great linky parties.

Thanks for stopping by, and have a great week!

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! I love my magnetic pin cushion, but it's nondescript plastic. Yours' is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea. I use the little container the pins came in. This would be much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just beautiful! What a great idea.

    I would love it if you would share this at my new Smart Solutions linky party. You can link up here:

    http://theprudentpantryblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/prudent-projects-smart-solutions-linky_13.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genial. Thank you for sharing it with us at our linky party at http://www.finecraftguild.com/party . It is a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is absolutely genius! Love the dish you chose.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete