I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Monday, September 10, 2012

Pillows, Pillows, and more Pillows…

I feel like there is so much to catch up on after my unexpected blog break and I feel like I need to start where I left off…

One of the things that I neglected to talk about was the pillow swap I was a part of last summer.  This pillow may look familiar to some of you, because I featured it in a block tutorial, but I never really talked about the swap or how I made the pillow. 

019

It all started with some fabric I received from Northcott and some wants from my partner in the Bee a {modern} Swapper swap.  She wanted a pillow for her living room that featured blues & greys, that was scrappy looking, and that used modern or whimsical fabrics.  So, when I received this fabric from Northcott, I just knew the two were a match made in heaven.  I pulled some fabric (pictured above), grabbed my sketch book and I was off.

009

As I mentioned above I did feature this pillow in a block tutorial, that can be found here, but I never really talked about the pillow itself.

I made this pillow using only 4 fat quarters, 5/8ths yard of white fabric (for the inside of the pillow), some scraps of cotton batting, and a 17” pillow form.

The front of the pillow is made from 9 - Star Crossed Lovers blocks that are in a 3 by 3 layout. Then I sandwich the quilt top, cotton batting, with the white fabric on the back, and I machine quilted it.  I used a light grey thread to straight line quilt the pillow.  Pretty isn’t it?

011

Once the front was done I needed to work on the back.  After choosing to do a envelope back, I took what was left over from my original 4 fat quarters and scrap pieced them together.  I machined quilted it like the front using the light grey thread and straight line quilting.  Then with right side together I layer my front and back pieces, being mindful that the envelope would open in the correct way, and trimmed it to a 18” square.  Then pinned it all the way around and sewed it together.  Once it was sewn together I turned it right side out and added the pillow form.

022

Above is the pillow I received in the swap.  I love it!  It is exactly what I want without even knowing what I wanted.  Sounds crazy, but I know you know what I mean.   

This experience has inspired me to make some more pillows for my couch in the living room.  Patchwork pillows are great little projects.  Now I can try out new techniques and ideas without having to invest I lot of time or money.  If I get really adventurous I can make some holiday ones or switch them out with the seasons, but don’t tell my husband, he will just roll his eyes and say “how many pillows do we really need” better to just sneak them in one by one.  That way there he will never even notice.

I hope you liked my pillow and are inspired to make one of your own. I will be linking this project to some of these great linky parties.

Thanks for stopping by, and have a great week!

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter

5 comments:

  1. That is so striking!! Love the colours you picked. Great swap :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your partner in the swap must have loved the one you made for her! I can't wait to see the ones you'll make to go with the one you've received.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand on the quilt speak but I am sure those that do this sort of thing definitely do. I just know I like the final result. Nicely designed. Thanks for sharing this week on BeColorful
    pr

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.