Friday, October 5, 2012

Hemp Bangle Bracelet {a tutorial}

bracelet

Last we talked I was going to rummage through my craft bin of bits and pieces to see if I could come up with an amazing bracelet of my own. Well, it took a little time for inspiration to strike, but when it did, things came together rather quickly. 

You see, I found these plastic rings that were once used on the curtains in my family room.  Since I had an abundance of these, I just knew, I had to use them.  But how to make them into a bracelet that I could actually wear?  It wasn’t till I found this hemp cord in my daughters things, did things finally start to come together for me.   

004

For this bracelet you will need to take eight of the 1” plastic rings, 12 yards of crafters cord (hemp), and some craft glue. The rings can be found either in the knitting aisle or with the notions at most big box craft stores. They are typically used for curtain tie backs, knitting or crochet, or other home d├ęcor projects.

Then cut the hemp cord into eight pieces.  Each piece should measure about 1 1/2 yards.

006

Take one length of hemp cord and one plastic ring and start wrapping the plastic ring using a simple slip knot.  After you make your first knot you will want to make sure you leave about a 5”-6” tail. 

007

Continue to wrap the ring all the way around using the slip knot.

008

Once you have made it all the way around, and have covered the entire plastic ring, tie it off with a knot.  This should leave you with 2 tails that are about 5”-6” long.  Repeat and wrap the remaining 7 plastic rings.

010

Now that you have all 8 rings wrapped it is time to join them.  First, line up your rings so your tails look to be in a straight line.  Take the tail of the first ring and wrap it around the second ring several times

011

After the first ring is joined to the second ring you will need to tie it off.  Bring the tails from the back to the front and tie once.

014

Tie it once more time, wrapping the tails around again, pull it tight, and close it with a knot.

Note: Make sure all your knots are on the same side.  That way there when you join the first ring to the last ring all the knots will be on the inside.

016

Now that you have all eight rings together, trim away all the remaining tails expect for tail on the last ring.  Then take some crafters glue and put a bead of glue on each knot.  Wipe away any excess glue with a napkin.  This will help strengthen the knot and make sure that over time the knot does not come undone.

021

Last but not least you will need to join the last ring to the first ring in the same manner as before making sure all the knots are inside the bracelet and not showing on the outside.  Don’t forget to add a little glue to the last knot as well.  Let set overnight.

I hope you like my Hemp Bangle Bracelet and are inspired to make one of your own. I will be linking this project to some of these great linky parties.

Thanks for stopping by, and have a great week!

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter

19 comments:

  1. I love these.. So cute and easy to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that I'm following you! I love how the bracelet turned out. Thanks so much for sharing:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great bracelet! I love that you made use of your old plastic curtain rings too!!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! The colors are awesome and now you've got me brainstorming...what if I used washers and embroidery floss? I'm thinking for granddaughters and Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow so cute, and even I could make these. The blue color is very pretty. One could take off in different ideas with you inspiration! Thanks for sharing your inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable! My girls will love these!
    Hello, new follower here! I would love to have you link up with my Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/10/upcycled-chicken-coop-clever-chicks.html

    I hope to see you there!
    Cheers!
    Kathy
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute idea! Makes me want to run out & get the supplies to make this today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these! I'm allergic to hemp but I'm thinking embroidery thread might work, too. :)

    Caiti
    www.walkerwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, new follower here! I would love to have you link up with my Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!

    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/10/upcycled-chicken-coop-clever-chicks.html



    I hope to see you there!

    Cheers!

    Kathy

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Thanks for the tutorial. I just may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so great!! Thanks so much for linking up to Made With Love at Sew Chatty last week! I'm featuring you today! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com/2012/10/made-with-love-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are adorable bracelets! What an amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on being featured at Sew Chatty, where I found your blog. These are adorable, and your tutorial has made it easy enough for even me to follow. Great Up Cycle on old curtain rings!
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great idea,your bracelets look great

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see the greatest contents on your blog and I absolutely love reading them.
    Andrea Harrell

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a "thing" for bracelets!!! This is so unique and I love it! Simple but so pretty! Thank you for the project and the very good tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG what a pretty Bangle bracelets. This is my first time to this site but my friend has told me about your work and you are very very good!

    ReplyDelete