I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Monday, November 19, 2012

Glass Etching Tutorial

Yesterday, I shared a tutorial on how to Create Subway Art or Text Images using PicMonkey.  Today, I will share the project I made using the Subway Art image I created using PicMonkey.  I choose to use PicMonkey for this project because I really like the fonts and the way you can move the text around oppose to just using Word or Publisher.  Not to mention it only took me about 5 minutes to do. 

glassetching

I found this great beer mug at the Dollar Store, and as soon as I saw it, I just knew what I was going to do with it.  So, I was sure to pick up some clear contact paper as well. That’s right, for a dollar and a few supplies you can make a great gift for your favorite beer drinker. I am going to pair this mug with a few lottery tickets for a special person that is on my Christmas list.

029

To make one of your own you will need:

  • Beer mug (I found mine at the Dollar Store)
  • Clear contact paper (again, at the Dollar Store)
  • X-acto knife and cutting mat
  • Printed image
  • Low tact painters tape
  • Glass Etch (I used Armor Etch, sold at most hobby and craft stores)
  • Protected gear, (you are using an acid, so safety glasses and gloves are recommended)
  • Junk bristled brush
  • Hot running water

032

I taped down my printed image and the contact paper to my cutting board and I was careful to line up my image to the grid that is on the contact paper.  It makes for easier application to the mug later.

034

With my X-acto knife I cut out the letters out of the contact paper.  I was careful to cut only through the contact paper and not through the backing.  Removing only the letter and leaving the inside of the letters on the backing of the contact paper. 

If you do cut through the backing it is ok just don’t remove the backing paper when removing your letters.  I used the tip of the X-acto knife to separate the layers.

037

Apply low tack painters tape to the top of the contact paper…

038

…then remove the backing paper.  All of the insides of your letter should be positioned correctly on the painters tape, if not, take a minute to make sure they are not still on the backing of the contact paper and that they are all correctly on the painters tape.

039

Position the contact paper on the mug, making sure that your image is straight.  Carefully peel away the painters tape.  Make sure all of the insides of your letters make it to the mug and are positioned properly.  Press out any air bubbles and make sure that the contact paper is firmly adhered to the mug.

040

Apply the glass etching paste generously with a bristled brush.  Let sit for a minute per manufactures directions, and rinse away with hot water.  Peel away the contact paper and thoroughly wash the mug.  Enjoy.

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think.

I will be linking this this tutorial to some of these great linky parties. Be sure to stop by and check them out. If you would like me to add your linky party to my page just ask.

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful tutorial. Your pictures make it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to try this but am too afraid to mess something up. Thanks for the instructions; I may actually give it a try now. Turned out GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Would love it if you linked up on my blog hop www.w-t-fab.com/search/label/bloghop. Also let me know if you'd like to follow each other!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These will make a cute wedding gift for a loving couple. Thanks for this post. I really appreciated it.custom imprinted drink-ware

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect sign for that Etched Glass mug, love your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice wedding gift.....I like your curiosity....Keep it up.....Etched Beer glass...

    ReplyDelete