I am no longer actively blogging here but I’d love if you could join me at my new creative lifestyle blog A Girl in Paradise.
I hope to see you soon.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Patchwork Pillow

Last week I finished another little project for myself.  This time I made a pillow for the family room.  I have been in love with this fabric line by heather Ross forever.  I have even been hoarding a lone fat quarter for ages.  I think it dates back to the early days of my blog when I made this Composition Notebook Cover for my daughter.  Which by the way did do the trick to help inspire and get her excited about writing.  She must be like her mother.  Beautiful fabric always seems to do the trick for me too. 

Anyways, last month when all my beautiful house blocks were coming in, Kim from My Go Go Life, included some fabric from this line in with her bee blocks.  Then the decision was made.  This fabric was going to be a pillow in my family room so I can enjoy it everyday.

200

It is a simple pillow to make.  I cut sixty-four 3” squares from the scraps and sewed them in a 8x8 layout.  Which will give you a 20” square that is perfect for a 20” pillow form.  I machine quilted it using this tutorial from Oh Fransson!, on fusible fleece.  Not bad for my first time, but I think I could still use a bit of practice.

182

For the back I pieced together two rectangles, that were about 12” by 20”, with the remaining scraps and a coordinating blender fabric from my stash.  I sewed in a zipper down the center back, because after all, it will be in the family room.  That means it will have to be washed on occasion and I will have to be able to get the pillow form in and out. 

To sew in the zipper I used an old trick I learned years ago…  with a 1/2” seam allowance sew together the 2 halves that make up your back.  Then lining up your zipper along the seam pin the zipper into place.

186

Sew along both sides of the zipper, then trim away any excess fabric and fleece in the seam allowance, and sew along the outer most sides of the zipper.  This will contain any of the raw edges you may have, and reinforce the zipper. 

192

Then just take your seam ripper and open the seam on the right side.  Now you have a zipper that has been sewn in straight, is reinforced, and is hiding your raw edges.  What more could you ask for?

To finish up the pillow, I squared both the front and back to a 20” square.  Sewed them with wrong sides together.  Then with the same coordinating blender fabric I used on the back I finished the raw edges with a basic quilt binding.

Please don’t look to closely at the machine quilting on the back.  It came out horrible.  At this point I was just playing around with no definite plan or direction. 

205

I will be linking this this pillow to some of these great linky parties. Be sure to stop by and check them out. If you would like me to add your linky party to my page just ask.

Subscribe to Updates - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful pillow! I love the fabric. I'd love for you to share this at my link party Submarine Sunday. It's open until Friday @ 11:59pm. I hope you'll stop by!

    T'onna
    http://navywifeypeters.blogspot.com/2012/11/submarine-sunday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful pillow! I love the colors :) Visiting from Craft-O-Maniac - have a great week!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie
    www.theenchantingrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this pillow!! I wish I had picked up some of that adorable Heather Ross fabric when it was available...sigh. Gorgeous :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! I'd love to learn to quilt someday :)

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous pillow. I bet it's so soft... Beautiful zipper too....!

    Happy creating this week!

    hugs ~ Crystelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. what great idea!!! I will try to sew zipper in your way:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am coming over to say Hi from the Sew South Flickr page! I am going too, and I see that you are a member of the Tampa MQG. I live in Sarasota/Bradenton, no too far away!! Are you planning on flying or driving? Love your pillow, by the way, such gorgeous colors!! And I think the quilting is great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your pillow and thanks so much for showing how you do your zipper! I've been wanting to make some large pillows for my living room and wasn't quite sure how to do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found you from Sew Can Do. I am subscribing to your site. Your pillow is beautiful and instructions are not wordy yet easy to follow. Find me at:
    http://www.thelostapron.com/2012/11/homemade-pizza.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pillow, I really love the fabrics too! Great idea on the zipper and I think that is the way I first learned to do zippers on dresses.......a lonnnng time ago. Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pillow - and what a great tip for the zip- I'm going to try this for sure!!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pillow! Your fabric choices work so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really beautiful and colorful pillow!
    I totally LOVE this fabric
    Wonderful job

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh , i bet you are in paradise! your pillow came out gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi ,love your pillows patchwork look lovely and your work is inspiring........

    ReplyDelete
  16. these arts are great to watch. Wish I could have a patchwork quilts in my house also. Hope that will get one soon. And your post is great.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.